1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Why no love for the three piece suit?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by andrew96, Jul 5, 2011.

1. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

2. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

Any idea if they had 38?

3. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Sorry my man - I didn't look very far beyond my size (and 38 is very far from 43/44).

4. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

5. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

ianGP show us how to wear a 3-piece suit.

[​IMG]

6. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

I really like their suits, but I also wish they would stop styling them in their look books with over-the-top ties and contrast-collar shirts like they are 'gangster' outfits. It's all a bit too much and tends to distract from the fact that the suits themselves are lovely.

1 person likes this.
  7. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

Completely gratuitous opinion...three piece suits need six button notch lapel vests and three button jackets.

When the jacket is buttoned, the vest should just peek out from under the lapel. Otherwise...as with one button and two button jackets...the vest dominates. And the overall look is a bit coarse.

And vests look best square cut at bottom.

Prince Charles has the look, IMO. Unfortunately, unless you do bespoke, you play havoc finding anything similar.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  8. Stugotes

Stugotes Senior member

Nah, as much as I love the fit on this, the self stripe and peak lapels make it over the top for me. A rare miss from Ian, imo.

Six button, no lapel, two button or 3-roll-2 jacket and that "normal" cut bottom; everything else looks ridiculous to me in today's environment.

9. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

"Ridiculous" is a pretty big blanket adjective. While I agree that what was described is a very solid cut, there are other options that will look good on particular men. Kirk Herbstreit has been wearing some three-piece suits with lapels on the vests on ESPN this season, and I swear the dude practically has smoke coming off of him he looks so damn slick.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  10. Stugotes

Stugotes Senior member

Okay, but in my opinion that square cut bottom doesn't work at all in case you are not a British prince.

I didn't even like it on McQueen.

11. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

I very rarely like a square cut. On anyone.

12. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

I have four 3-piece suits. All have five-button vests and two-button jackets; two of the vests have notch lapels, none of them have square cut bottoms.

I'm 5' 8.5" and skinny. I might imagine trying a six button vest, but I don't wear three-button jackets (unless I'm on a horse ...).

Just my personal preferences for me. There are other people who I think look just fine in suits which depart in one way or another from the description above.

Cheers,

Ac

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  13. marcodalondra

marcodalondra Senior member

Prince Charles only wear single breasted Jackets and waistcoats with his kilts nowadays and the kilt jacket is worn open and the square bottom seams to be ok, however as a young men he wore regular waistcoats as well [​IMG]

With a regular three piece, the single breasted waistcoat work best with an inverted V cut bottom

14. harrykittle

harrykittle New Member

Maybe in the summer it's to much but the rest of the seasons it's great.
    The suit on the model needs an Hudson Irish Linen Pocket Square.
    Best Regards,
    Hudson Pocket Squares

15. jungleroller

jungleroller Senior member

16. Pingson

Pingson Senior member

Square-cut waistcoats only work when they are double-breasted, IMHO. Like this one from Vox:
    [​IMG]
    Single-breasted waistcoats almost always look better with the "inverted V" cut.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  17. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

I think they definitely would with a classic, conservative business suit. But when one is dealing with this level of high fashion. who can really say?

18. Coburn

Coburn Senior member

Agree. I think the inverted V lengthens the torso. I think that's one of the reasons a 3 piece suit is 'slimming' for the overweight silhouette.

1 person likes this.
  19. Stugotes

Stugotes Senior member

Call me heretic, but to me that's a rare miss from Vox. I can't imagine that working even in conservative New England.

20. Pingson

Pingson Senior member

Why?? :puzzled:

1 person likes this.