Why no love for the three piece suit?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by andrew96, Jul 5, 2011.

1. cincydavid

cincydavid Well-Known Member

The garden spot of the universe, Cincinnati OH, US
    I'm 6ft 1 inch tall, knocking on 250, and I think I'd look like the bad guy in an old movie if I wore a vest...

There's also a guy in my office who has cornered the market on vests...little tiny guy who freely concedes that he wears a 3 piece suit so he doesn't have to iron shirts...I'd get heckled mercilessly for copying him.

2. cropknox

cropknox Active Member

Yep. Making a properly fitting waistcoat ("vest") is actually quite a feat of tailoring, as is so often demonstrated by the ill fitting vests seen these days . . .

3. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

My next suit is definitely going to be a 3-piece suit. I just really like how they look. I think that my shape would be benefited from a wasitcoat.

4. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

It's turned cold in the parts so I've worn a 3-piece flannel every day this week thus far.

5. eqcitizen

eqcitizen Well-Known Member

Not that anyone should listen to me but IMO three pieces make a person look more put together, especially in the cooler months. I like these especially
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. OinkBoink

OinkBoink Senior member

In succession, these pictures look like the guy is first looking at his penis, and then looking at the penis next to him to compare.

7. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

I think that Phineas Cole stuff is a bit over the top, but I have to admit, I like it quite a bit.

I really like the DB vests with SB jackets since it prevents the endless line of buttons down the middle.

8. benjamin831

benjamin831 Senior member

I just bought a double breasted tweed odd waistcoat in greenish-brown herringbone. Hopefully it will be quite versatile. Wish it didn't have that green tone to it tho.

9. TimelesStyle

TimelesStyle Senior member

I love the lines of the suits, but the patterns are a bit loud for my taste. I need to get into Paul Stuart to check out the PC line on this year's sale; I've always been curious. Another thing I really like about them is that they use tabs instead of belt loops and use peak lapel jackets on the three-piece suits (the only time I like seeing peaks on a single breasted jacket other than a tuxedo).

Oh yea, and the models range from the barely-closeted-but-married-to-a-woman to the internet-prowler-rapist-dude.

10. TimelesStyle

TimelesStyle Senior member

Was walking through RL in NY a couple of weeks ago and saw what I consider one of the most poorly thought-out three-piece suits I've ever seen in the Black Label section: single breast with notch lapels and for some reason the only RLBL suit of the season to have belt loops instead of side tabs (in spite of the fact that tabs would be even more appropriate on a three-piece).

11. iroh

iroh Senior member

3 piece suits are for people with inferior bodies, those who have to layer lots of clothes to look good. If you can look in a 2 piece suit you will be in much better shape since you have a better body. Better to have a nice body than nice clothes. Even better to have both.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012

12. mhdena

mhdena Senior member

You have this backwards IMO

A fit person looks good in 3 piece suits and DB suits as well as 2 piece.

13. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

:lol:

14. Chase H

Chase H Senior member

15. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member