• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why no green

TyskJohan

Reaction score
I have been wondering for a long time why green (in all its shades) is less accepted than blue (and even pink/red) for formal menswear and accessories.

I have a light tan complexion and green eyes, and I think green would suit me quite well (light green for shirtings for example).

A very hands-on example: Where can I find plain green silk knots that aren't in the atrocious color called lime? Same question for braces...

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The shade known as bottle-green has been used in men's accessories and jackets with some regularity.

Lime-green tends to be seen in brands like Ralph Lauren who aspire towards that eccentric WASP look or brands like Helmut Lang who simply use the color as a device.

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hate to be the one to do this but...

green is for farmer.

Anyway, green is often used for velvet (especially smoking) jackets. I've definitely seen bottle-green solid ties at Jack Spade.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have two green dress shirts (one solid green and one with fairly wide stripes, both towards the darker end of the scale). I also have a few mainly green ties. I normally combine them with a (dark) brown suit or with a dark grey sportcoat. Looks very nice, IMO. I also have green eyes.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have some green (olive) ties and shoes. I would like to add to my collection some green jackets and trousers as well, even though I`m not a farmer
laugh.gif

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TyskJohan
I have been wondering for a long time why green (in all its shades) is less accepted than blue (and even pink/red) for formal menswear and accessories.

I must say I really like bottle green as a colour. It is seriously underutilised.

Bottle green coats have not been an established feature of formal daytime dress or evening full dress since the early years of the 19th century. Here is a strking bottle green dress coat (in the early 19th century the dress coat was still daytime dress) from 1819:

unartisteeh7.jpg

Bottle green remained a popular colour throughout the 19th century (eg waistcoats) but never can I recall anything that said that frock coats, Newmarket coats (later to become the morning coat) or dress coats were ever considered to be acceptable in bottle green.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
leprechaun.jpg

Oh Danny boy, the pipes, the pipes are calling
From glen to glen, and down the mountain side
The summer's gone, and all the flowers are dying
'Tis you, 'tis you must go and I must bide.
But come ye back when summer's in the meadow
Or when the valley's hushed and white with snow
'Tis I'll be here in sunshine or in shadow
Oh Danny boy, oh Danny boy, I love you so.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bottle green blazers widely accepted and according to Flusser (or maybe Roetzel, I don't recall) they are a Brooks Brothers staple. The largest BB store in NYC apparently keeps them in stock. JLibourel has one from WW Chan and when I met him and saw it in person, it stuck me as unique but just as versatile as navy. It's a very nice piece and has me considering the color for my next blazer.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
one of my fave colors is an olive green that's been desaturated so it almost borders on grey. any kind of rich green (no matter the tone) looks too costumey (thank Leprechauns and the Riddler).

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thinman
Bottle green blazers widely accepted and according to Flusser (or maybe Roetzel, I don't recall) they are a Brooks Brothers staple. The largest BB store in NYC apparently keeps them in stock. JLibourel has one from WW Chan and when I met him and saw it in person, it stuck me as unique but just as versatile as navy. It's a very nice piece and has me considering the color for my next blazer.
Manton says you're only allowed to wear one if you've won The Masters.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
Oh Danny boy, the pipes, the pipes are calling
From glen to glen, and down the mountain side
The summer's gone, and all the flowers are dying
'Tis you, 'tis you must go and I must bide.
But come ye back when summer's in the meadow
Or when the valley's hushed and white with snow
'Tis I'll be here in sunshine or in shadow
Oh Danny boy, oh Danny boy, I love you so.

Always reminds me of this scene from Miller's Crossing:

millers2.jpg

I love that movie.

william

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like most things, it's all about the shade of the color and how you wear it. Note this example from Ralph Lauren Purple Label:

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wEstSidE
green is for farmer.
No that's brown! I love bottle green and would take it over mud brown any day. I have a bottle green Brioni DB blazer and agree that it is extremely versatile as well as perfectly wearable. As the OP and other posters have noted gaudy shades of green are to be avoided unless you want to look like a leprechaun on St Patricks Day.

Sommerseth

Reaction score
TyskJohan, if I am not much mistaken you'll find (non-lime) green silk knots at Ferner Jacobsen and possibly at the Shirt Factory (på Steen og Strøm). I think they are around 75 kr a pair.

Lykke til!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics