1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Why Neiman Marcus Won't Take Visa and Mastercard

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jbc217, Feb 2, 2005.

1. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

(imageWIS @ Feb. 02 2005,16:00)
    I just read that locked thread (I'm a poet and didn't know it). Boy, and I thought the political discussions globetrotter and I have been having were bad. There was no real point to any of that NM thread. By the way, anyone know if that karla dude was the dude he said he was? I caved in and took out a NM card once over, yes, you guessed it, a pair of shoes. No cash with me, and I wasn't aware of the two card policy. I did so with a promise to myself to pay off the balance right away. I think the interest rate is around 21% on that card.
    No, of course he is not who he says he is. Many obvious indications of his fraudulent identity are readily available through the archives of the forum. I believe the discovery and accusation of the dissemination of his identify started in the Cars. thread. Jon.
    Have a little decorum.
    I beg pardon, how much more decorum do you wish me to use? Perhaps you misunderstand the word. Jon.

2. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

I heartily agree, Chairman. BTW, I tried some of the General Tso's sauce marketed in supermarkets under the Iron Chef name. The display case had likenesses of the actual Iron Chefs, with the faces blurred; I now know why.

3. Styleman

Styleman Senior member

4. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

5. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

6. Styleman

Styleman Senior member

7. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

And so it begins.

Topics most likely to result in a SF flamewar:  politics, religion, economics, watches, and Neiman-Marcus's credit-card policy.

8. cuffthis

cuffthis Senior member

Did you hear the one about the Right Wing Christian politician who tried to buy a watch at Neiman-Marcus with his Visa card?

9. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Senior member

Yeah, and a Chinese import watch at that.

10. bryce330

bryce330 Senior member

Date of Kalra banning: August 7, 2004
    Date of 'Styleman' registration: August 9, 2004

He had actually been doing pretty well until this thread.

11. auto90403

auto90403 Senior member

Santa Monica, California/McLean, Virginia
    about 15 years ago, i bought two suits at NM. when i paid, they wouldn't take my credit cards and i didn't have AMEX. so they issued me a NM card on the spot and that was that.

if respecting their customers' privacy is their reason for not taking V/MC, they sure violate it when if comes to holders of NM charge cards. all they do is bombard you with junk mail, much of it, i seem to remember, for merchandise that i'd never never buy -- women's cosmetics.

NM always struck me as a prim, prissy store.

12. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

I have always received fine service at the Michigan Avenue store in Chicago, and they also issued me a NM card on the spot, as they did you. I guess I am hesitant to throw out the baby with the bathwater. And as for their catalogs, I rather like the Christmas edition. A few years back they had a motorcycle for half a million dollars in there. Of course, the engine couldn't operate.

13. jcusey

jcusey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Nope. US currency is "legal tender for all debts, public and private." Debts aren't the same as payments. It's perfectly legal for any retailer to decline any currency for payment for any reason. See the US Treasury FAQ.