• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why Men Like Black Pants and Oversized Clothes

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The next time you see an otherwise normal man wearing black odd pants or oversized clothing, consider that he probably is making mistakes for sensible reasons and would make better choices if he knew how to make them.

Black disguises wrinkles and many fit problems. It hides dirt, and it makes color matching easier (and accomodates the one, black pair of shoes that many men own, as someone else mentioned).

As many know, oversized clothing can make the wearer look larger, and most men want to look big. Also, clothing that is baggy can hide a source of embarrassment for many men, large hips.

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My favorite is the polo/golf shirt that is worn two sizes too big, such that the sleeves go down past the elbow, to the forearm. Jim Furyk, are you reading this? (so, while I understand your comments, I disagree)

To answer the second poster: black pants are a sure sign of a lack of imagination and therefore, we decided collectively that they are bad.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I just thought men wore black pants and oversized clothing because they had bad taste...or if that's too cruel, underdeveloped tastes.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man In Space
Who decided that wearing black pants is a mistake?

You should know by now that many forum members are religiously against black... trousers, suits or shoes...

Me, I am fortunately not, I consider black as just another color on the palette and use it with style...

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lakewolf
You should know by now that many forum members are religiously against black... trousers, suits or shoes...

You're right about trousers and suits, but I think just about everybody understands that occassionally black shoes are necessary.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Black shoes are fine, if a bit boring, for some ensembles but I think many here prefer the richness of brown and the antiquing that often goes with it.
smile.gif

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting. Black is one of my favorite colors, and I look good in it.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
me too...

by the way I live in Europe and here black is widely used and accepted...

Specially tall and sexy blonde girls like to dress all in black here and they look superb...

I am not for full black in men, also I think wearing too much black during the day is not so nice, but nothing beats a slim black suit to go clubbing...

In my view the black suit is the modern days tuxedo. So it is the elegant evening wear for me. I wear it with a bold shirt and no tie to party...

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lakewolf
I consider black as just another color on the palette and use it with style...

0008-0408-0708-0736_SM.jpg

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black is special . . . many, many different shades of black. Often, I choose an off black, as opposed to onyx. Regarding the oversized fit . . . poor fitting clothes are common. Baggy, or tight.

Chicago

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Checks
My favorite is the polo/golf shirt that is worn two sizes too big, such that the sleeves go down past the elbow, to the forearm. Jim Furyk, are you reading this?
Technically a golf shirt should be big to allow full movement with little or no restriction (you'll see a lot of players with shirts that are supposedly "big"). In the end it comes down to comfort, not fashion. Considering the man is #3 in the world, and unless you've suddenly jumped to #2 (lord knows someone needs to take it away from Phil), maybe the advice on how to walk the course is coming from the wrong guy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads