• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why Men Like Black Pants and Oversized Clothes

Mentos

Reaction score
Over the course of months of reading SF, and with no other influence other than my street observations, I have been swayed by the arguments that black is generally not flattering and should only be deployed with great care (which is more moderate a poasition than a lot of people take here).

I encourage people to leave this thread alone and take a look at old posts. I dare say that this is the biggest style-related controversy that comes up on SF, and every single, last, possible argument has been well articulated already. Twice.

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
nevermind

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally I believe gray, especially mottled gray flannel hides dirt better.

Zubberah

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kitonbrioni
Black is one of many color options and those who find it boring can just not do it. I too can't see why it is worthy of special attention--one way or the other.

Here here! Get over it guys! FWIW, I love black! And wear it regularly.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like black. Black is especially fine for leather trench coats, and designer clothing.

In fact, today I wore a black Verri Uomo by Martijn Bal dress shirt with a white V crossing the shirt, and grey striped Martin Margiela Line 14 trousers.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear black a lot. I actually like to wear it to work now and then (where it's quite unique), but I sometimes prefer not to wear it when going out at night: at many places, black is a bit of a "uniform", everybody is wearing it, and I had enough of uniforms when doing my military service.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant
Black disguises wrinkles and many fit problems. It hides dirt, and it makes color matching easier (and accomodates the one, black pair of shoes that many men own, as someone else mentioned).
Yes, for years I favoured black jeans for that reason, and for years I only used black shoes.
Not until I "settled down" and thus allowed my wardrobe to increase beyond the limit of what can be packed into two suitcases when you change your residence, I started to actually enjoy more complex colour combinations.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are creative and can carry it, then you can wear anything you darned well please.

I personally prefer the short black jeans without a belt, black velcro tennis shoes, and a silk short sleeve dress shirt tucked in, but that's just me.

Niels

Reaction score
I like black trousers and a grey sports jacket and black shoes. I cant see why so many find it unappropriate.

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chicago
Technically a golf shirt should be big to allow full movement with little or no restriction (you'll see a lot of players with shirts that are supposedly "big"). In the end it comes down to comfort, not fashion. Considering the man is #3 in the world, and unless you've suddenly jumped to #2 (lord knows someone needs to take it away from Phil), maybe the advice on how to walk the course is coming from the wrong guy.

That's the silliest thing I've ever heard. So, Tiger's no good because his shirts are tight?

We saw what happened to Mr. #3 at the Ryder Cup - *****-slapped by someone who was not #2. Maybe it's time to try a tighter shirt - like, say, the Euros wore.

He wears loose shirts because - like 99% of all golfers and 99.8% of all American males - he doesn't know any better.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Checks
That's the silliest thing I've ever heard. So, Tiger's no good because his shirts are tight?

We saw what happened to Mr. #3 at the Ryder Cup - *****-slapped by someone who was not #2. Maybe it's time to try a tighter shirt - like, say, the Euros wore.

He wears loose shirts because - like 99% of all golfers and 99.8% of all American males - he doesn't know any better.

Yes ! by the way the polo shirts have a elastic waving for that reason...

I do like black, but never oversized clothes...

ted

Reaction score
Oversized - uhmmm no.
Black pants - only when I wait tables.

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lakewolf
Yes ! by the way the polo shirts have a elastic waving for that reason...

I do like black, but never oversized clothes...

How about black, oversized clothes: I think it's the accessories and accents that really make this outfit *work*.

14.jpg

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Checks
My favorite is the polo/golf shirt that is worn two sizes too big, such that the sleeves go down past the elbow, to the forearm. Jim Furyk, are you reading this? (so, while I understand your comments, I disagree) To answer the second poster: black pants are a sure sign of a lack of imagination and therefore, we decided collectively that they are bad.
Ah, nuts to that. Today I am wearing: Gray RL Polo custom fit polo shirt (its fitted, not oversized at all, I don’t wear baggy clothes) Black GAP cotton pants Black suede, To Boot New York ‘Rolo’ casual shoes Frankly, I look perfectly well dressed for work / class. Jon.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads