• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why Mark Cuban Does Not Wear a Suit?

WhereIsMyMindAt

Reaction score
The idea of a *SUIT* is about as old fashioned as it gets. "Gordon Gekko"

Let's start with the (1980's) Axiom they use to teach in business school. (Hopefully it's dead and gone)

The Suit Makes the Man--*BUZZER WRONG*---Cuban IS ROCK SOLID ON. Quote. "....if you feel like you need a suit to gain that confidence, you got problems. The minute you open your mouth, all those people who might think you have a great suit, forget about the suit and have to deal with the person wearing it."

Next, let's assume that Axiom is true (Suit makes the man). And/or the very very tired "Dress for the Promotion you want"
Well, of the FORBES 400-RICHEST, THOSE Males Under 50-Their "Profile PIc" for *FORBES MAGAZINE* NO ONE is in a Suit http://www.forbes.com/forbes-400/

Of the "Youngest Billionaires" (20-under 45years old)
http://www.forbes.com/sites/brianso...t-billionaires-on-the-forbes-400-20-under-45/

---Find it Ironic that the *ONLY* one's in Suits are Hedge Fund Managers. Why do I point this out? Because it's the Anxiom they're running with "Suit makes the Man"--why? Becasue well, they're selling AIR--"HEDGE" thus there's no "Sizzle" to sell.

---Also, "Self Made"--THE LESS LIKELY a Man is to wear a suit. Again Why? He had nothing to prove. You don't need to lead with "LOOK" you lead with Charisma. Which cannot be bought or sold.

The closest they come is a Coat---NO TIE!!!! *A TIE*--IS ABOUT AS OUT OF FASHION AS IT GETS!!

50-years from now people will ask, "Why did people wear a Noose around their neck to work in the 1980's?

I will quite literally put in my will to *NOT* bury me in a Suit and Tie.

Most of all, Cuban NAILS the point. Why? What is the purpose of a suit? Why have we worn them? Why wear one to work?

A SUIT DOES NOT/WILL NOT/NOR EVER WILL "Make the Man". Requote him. "....if you feel like you need a suit to gain that confidence, you got problems."
A Man a REAL MAN--who exudes Confidence can show up in "Contemporary" type Jeans and Black Turtle Neck and be just fine

You know, The Fez, The Davey Crockett Coonskin Cap, Beaver Top Hat,/SmokeStack Hat were in "Vogue" at one time too.

Put the suit in the coffin already. It does not matter how many "Articles" Men's Warehouse/Jos-A-Bank (Largest Cap Suit Retailers)-how many "Suits are Back" fakeware/ads/as/an/article they try to plant. The suit is gone forever.

Just like the "SMOKESTACK HAT" (then again, you can *TRY* to be a Hipster show up in a Smoke Stack tomorrow...Good luck.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perfectly fine, his choice. One day the suit will die just as many other items of clothing have passed into history. Few men now wear ruffs and pantaloons normally!

Last edited:

WhereIsMyMindAt

Reaction score
MY ONLY caveat is, a HAND MADE/Tailored Suit *IF* needed for Cultural based Attire.

If your Job consists of working in Japan for example, they are more traditional, especially in times of "mourning" or "Crisis"
(example the C.E.O. of the Company passed).

Naturally ,would be a Fallacy to simply use one Example to then create the argument as a whole.
However, the two most valuable companies on THE PLANET EARTH--(AAPL/GOOG)
Their "C" Suite, they don't wear Suits (Or even a Suit Jacket/Formal Jacket) Interesting....... ;-)

*********EDIT***********
As I reflect over Sushi, I think. You know America already is neurotic enough.
It's o.k. people *EVERYONE* and I do mean *EVERYONE* has at least one (if not more) demons chasing them. (Called the "Human Condition-Google Existentialism)

America is the MOST OBESE, OVER MEDICATED (you know that we represent 5% of the world yet take 80% of the Prescription Meds??? *AND* of those meds that are of Narcotic Derivative, Americans consume 90% of the "Hardest of the Hard" Narcs.

We Die of More Alcohol and Tobacco than run over by a bus jogging. .

I could go on and on--I can't reply (or don't care to register to)--Precious "Daniel" and his top comment on the Fallacious C.P.A. argument.

Daniel, maybe it's youth/Culture. NOt sure.
However, I can assure you. If it were $250/hr for a D&G/Valentino or Hand Crafted Suit wearer
Or $350/hr C.P.A. and I drop my taxes off at his home. He meets me at the door in Swim Trunks, No shirt. After a swim out back.

THE ONLY criteria is who got me a better return and I'd bet you $1000:$1 it's Mr Swim Trunks. WHY? He's got nothing to "Prove"--he doesn't "NEED" to "LOOK GOOD" to prove he's worth $350/$450 hr.

You posted no Theorem or Postulate to create your stance ,thus I know not how to attack your argument. Thus won't waste the time. However---Details/GQ/Maxim--all of 'em have tried their best to turn men into the NEUROTIC WALKING HEAD CASES--poor women have been turned into by Fashion Mags

You think I"m kidding. Google for Coffee Apple Diet or other nonsense like 300 calories a day diet. *CHILDREN* (13-14-15-16-17-18 years old) trying to lose weight KILLING THEMSELVES over "Thigh Gap" (assuming this is mainly mens forum, thus need not explain) If my daughter were trying that NONSENSE.

FYI-Reference sake--the Military Survival Guide Handbook says a (Marine by the way) can survive on 800-1000 cals a day (note that term *SURVIVE*--not "THRIVE*--it's hunker down/wait to be found/rescued "survival guide"

CHARISMA---PEOPLE---CHARISMA AND CHARM----All you need will get you anywhere you need to go. "
Peace!

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads