• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why isn't pink a popular color for men's fall/winter clothes?

Fairy Tale Pink

Reaction score
In recent years, pink has gained in popularity for women's fall/winter collections after years of being only featured in spring collections. However, it hasn't caught on as well in men's fall/winter collections and remains primarily a spring-only color for menswear (aside from a few pink sweatshirts from some preppy brands, which very few men actually wear).

Do most men really prefer their fall/winter clothes to be in more conservative fall colors, and prefer their brights and pastels for the spring and summer?

Fairy Tale Pink

Reaction score

Are you answering that you prefer conservative fall colors, or do you buy pink clothes in the fall?

I have some pink fleeces myself, but pink just doesn't get featured as much in men's fall/winter collections as it does in women's collections; usually most pink men's clothes is included with spring/summer collections. While in the past with women's collections pink was almost exclusively a spring/summer color, in recent years pink is now being incorporated into fall/winter collections (the Pantone color Ballet Slipper was trendy for Fall 2017 womenswear). The same can't be said with menswear.

jaxenro

Reaction score
I tend to wear fall colors in the fall

I was answering the question asked literally not the preceding statement but I can’t speak for most men just myself

notdos

Reaction score
I tend to choose based on fabric and texture, rather than color.

jaxenro

Reaction score
I have a pink tie and a pink seersucker suit but pink isn't really a color I wear often. I don't wear much red either

visionsofgabriel

Reaction score
In recent years, pink has gained in popularity for women's fall/winter collections after years of being only featured in spring collections. However, it hasn't caught on as well in men's fall/winter collections and remains primarily a spring-only color for menswear (aside from a few pink sweatshirts from some preppy brands, which very few men actually wear).

Do most men really prefer their fall/winter clothes to be in more conservative fall colors, and prefer their brights and pastels for the spring and summer?

I prefer pink year-round, to be honest. During the fall/winter months if I could find a nice baby pink cashmere sweater I would totally go for it. I think darker, more conservative colors just 'make more sense' for the fall, but I support you going against the norm and wearing pink if you feel like it. It could be the new thing for men's F/W fashion!

SlickEsq

Reaction score
Personally, I cant say I have anything more than a pink tie in my wardrobe. But that pink tie is probably my favorite one of all. It's highly versatile with just about any suit and it adds a sharp contrast to my outfit. I get compliments on it constantly.

jaxenro

Reaction score
It isn’t so much that pink isn’t a masculine color but that red tones often don’t go well with skin tones. And forget it if it brings out the red in your eyes

Cassadine

Reaction score
Personally, I do not look well in pink as I've grown older. Mid-80's Miami Vice era? No problem, but those days are long since gone for me. LOL.

Al Shosty

Reaction score
I think the OP is right in that the main reason is that most people are risk-averse and conservative in their fashion sense, and don't consider pink to be a colour suited to colder climates (with the partial exception of pink shirts). I have a pink sweater that I've gotten good use out of during spring/summer nights, but other than that I tend to just stick to more sombre, boring colours for most of the year (I'm in London though).

jaxenro

Reaction score
Gatsby had a pink suit which was unique enough to be remarked upon and that was close to 100 years ago. Pink just isn't a flattering men's color except as an accent. Shirts, ties, are OK but not so much pants, jackets, and sweaters. It makes large men look ridiculous and younger men like their mothers dressed them. Occasionally some men can pull it off, like I said I have a pink seersucker suit (alternating pink and white stripe) I wear occasionally on a hot summer day and it looks summery, but not many or often. I could maybe see a pink boating blazer under some circumstances but it would take a certain sense of style to pull it off and not everyone has that.

Same as Navy blazers are considered a staple but red blazers make you look like a fox hunting wanna be. Pink would be good as one of the colors in a Madras or Plaid but not the dominant color. Like I said it makes a great accent color.

Now there were also a few Napoleonic era uniforms used pink, often as a facing color, to great effect and the trumpeters used to wear the reverse colors (the facing color becomes the main color and the main color the facing) as can be seen by the uniform of a trumpeter of the Grand Duchy of Berg. You don't get more stylish than this but you can't really wear it anymore :)

Duchy Berg.jpg

jaxenro

Reaction score
Paywalled. Also, some trends that apply to womenswear don't universally apply to menswear. I just don't see enough pink men's fall/winter clothes in comparison to women's; most pink clothes for men is usually included with spring/summer collections.

They don’t sell enough to make them. If you want a pink winter jacket have it made but I think you will grow old waiting for it to become a fashion item in quantity for all the reasons I specified. Pink is a summer color for many reasons among them it looks odd on the type of clothes you wear in the winter. A pink jacket or overcoat doesn’t work

Fairy Tale Pink

Reaction score
Where you will find a small amount of pink clothes in fall/winter collections is some preppy brands. I know IZOD has included a small number of pink fleeces in their fall collections the past several years, and I own several of them. It remains to be seen if their Fall 2018 collection will include it. IZOD did include a lot of pink for Spring 2018, so I wonder if this will carry over into their Fall 2018 fleeces.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics