• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why is Thom Browne clothing so expensive?

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Interesting...when did the switch take place?

- B

I think you'll start seeing the Oxxford made garments when the new stock reaches the stores, maybe I'm off though.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Thom Brown doesn't do a lot of marketing, certainly less than Brioni with all those ads in expensive mags and men's shop. He gets press attention and is featured in editorial but that's not $$$. I don't even know who does his PR.

No? Maybe I'm just being over-cynical, but I imagine all the attention in fashion magazines didn't come free.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
No? Maybe I'm just being over-cynical, but I imagine all the attention in fashion magazines didn't come free.

Pretty much free. You don't seem to realize how small an operation TB is. What he could offer to Vogue or whatever is peanuts. He doesn't have celebrity deals either. He did outfit Ewan McGregor in one movie...

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score

It could be comparable in cost to having flagship store at the Carlyle.

- B

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score

The fashion magazines finally had something to talk about. There's not much from Zegna that'll turn heads or start conversations (except from the prissy boys here). Thom Browne, on the other hand, will draw attention, praise, and ridicule.

Furthermore, Thom Browne ownes his brand himself, something that is extremely rare these days. He pays for it all out of pocket, his only original investors were his brothers and sisters.

"Does anyone think that he will be in the very top tier of RTW menswear pricing like Kiton, Brioni ( and to a lesser extent ) Oxxford are and have been, for 20, 30 and even 50 years?"

Who cares? Who in their right mind would think "I'm either going to get a Kiton or a Thom Browne - but I just can't decide which!"

"This first part of this statement is patently untrue. I think the shoulders are done by hand, but that's it. Someone cut one up and correct me"

I'm just quoting Mr. Browne himself, there's nothing I can do to prove it.

mikeber

Reaction score
Comparing TB to Brioni or Kiton is like oranges and apples. Totally different markets and customers. Compare TB to Gucci, D&G, Dior Homme, Prada, Oswald Boateng, LV, etc. Q - Why are these brands so expensive
confused.gif
? 1) Because they can charge these high prices and the market supports them. (#1 reason) 2) These type of questions are frequently asked by members who expect a close correlation between price and "quality". In fashion there is no such thing. 3) With every fashion label the emphasis is on the design. Every season they need to design and present a new collection. The investment of time, effort and money in the collection are immense. New fabrics and materials are designed and are mostly exclusive to the designer. There are teams of people working on all details. Then there is the investment in the show. When we check a suit on the rack, we look at the fabric quality and the sewing, but rarely consider the design effort. 4) Companies like Oxxford (and others) have (almost) no expenses on new designs. Sometimes they'll look at old magazines and "introduce a new model" from their 30's catalogue, but that's it. The fabrics are the regular Scabal, LP, H&S. Sometimes (if economic situation permits) they will commission a new fabric, but that's about it. Their investment is in "quality" i.e. handwork, sewing, quality control, etc. What is Oxxford's expense on advertising and how much they pay their male models? 25 cent probably...

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Because people will pay the prices he asks.
teacha.gif

Compare:

calvin-and-hobbs.jpg

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mikeber
Comparing TB to Brioni or Kiton is like oranges and apples. Totally different markets and customers. Compare TB to Gucci, D&G, Dior Homme, Prada, Oswald Boateng, LV, etc. Q - Why are these brands so expensive
confused.gif
? 1) Because they can charge these high prices and the market supports them. (#1 reason) 2) These type of questions are frequently asked by members who expect a close correlation between price and "quality". In fashion there is no such thing. 3) With every fashion label the emphasis is on the design. Every season they need to design and present a new collection. The investment of time, effort and money in the collection are immense. New fabrics and materials are designed and are mostly exclusive to the designer. There are teams of people working on all details. Then there is the investment in the show. When we check a suit on the rack, we look at the fabric quality and the sewing, but rarely consider the design effort. 4) Companies like Oxxford (and others) have (almost) no expenses on new designs. Sometimes they'll look at old magazines and "introduce a new model" from their 30's catalogue, but that's it. The fabrics are the regular Scabal, LP, H&S. Sometimes (if economic situation permits) they will commission a new fabric, but that's about it. Their investment is in "quality" i.e. handwork, sewing, quality control, etc. What is Oxxford's expense on advertising and how much they pay their male models? 25 cent probably...

Yes, Thom Browne is truly a shining icon of original design... ... I mean, his OCBDs, slim-fit short-cut suits, blazers with piping, flat-front pants, spectator wingtips, shawl collar sweaters, cardigans, henley shirts, scarves, shorts - yep, no one's EVER done them before! Truly, some superlative design values there. Oh, wait.
sarcasm.gif

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
Because people will pay the prices he asks.
teacha.gif

Compare:

But the prices he asks aren't that much crazy when compared to other high-end suits, so why do you take exception to them?

babygreenspots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think most extremely limited run brands on his quality level are probably at a similar price-point but I may be wrong.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads