• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why is this Burberry coat so cheap?

CashmereLover

Reaction score

Mr. Lee

Reaction score
Could be a fake. The Ebay ad is highly suspect, don't you think? If I did this right, here is a link to a guide to Burberry labelling. Used to be "Burberrys" but, apparently, that changed about nine years ago.

Check this out: http://reviews.ebay.com/Burberrys-BU...00000004206383

aphextwin07

Reaction score
um seriously? I take it you've never heard of eBay before?

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Probably because it is a single breasted, not really lined, simple model (and not even sized beyond S/M/L)

They probably pulled it from an outlet at $150 a piece

CashmereLover

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies.

Originally Posted by Mr. Lee
Could be a fake. The Ebay ad is highly suspect, don't you think? If I did this right, here is a link to a guide to Burberry labelling. Used to be "Burberrys" but, apparently, that changed about nine years ago.

Check this out: http://reviews.ebay.com/Burberrys-BU...00000004206383

Not sure what would be the suspicious thing about the ad? Anyway, the guide confirms that the label "Burberry London" seems fine. However it's still hard to be sure about the authenticity.

Originally Posted by aphextwin07
um seriously? I take it you've never heard of eBay before?

Sure I have, but what do you mean? Is it obvious why the price is so reduced? I know about e.g. the price of sub $100 for the $425 Polo cashmere sweaters (which is a great value in my opinion), but I'm not very familiar with Burberry. I just know that this is certainly not the traditional Burberry trench so one could expect a high price reduction if it's "fashion oriented". Still, it's very cheap.

Originally Posted by otc
Probably because it is a single breasted, not really lined, simple model (and not even sized beyond S/M/L)

They probably pulled it from an outlet at $150 a piece

Indeed it's simple, so I don't think it's worth even half of the retail price. But maybe it's worth $227.52.
smile.gif

Merlino

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CashmereLover
Indeed it's simple, so I don't think it's worth even half of the retail price. But maybe it's worth $227.52.
smile.gif

When has a Burberry trench (or any Burberry product for that matter) ever been worth full retail?

CashmereLover

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Merlino
When has a Burberry trench (or any Burberry product for that matter) ever been worth full retail?

Depends on who you ask, but I know which answer you expect. For me and probably most other people too, Burberry has not ever been worth full retail, but that doesn't explain the huge mark down ... is it really such a non-desirable coat? I really like it, actually, for that price!

drechie

Reaction score
that looks like crud. probably a reject. it also looks like a summer/spring jacket = cheaper

Merlino

Reaction score
Depends on who you ask, but I know which answer you expect. For me and probably most other people too, Burberry has not ever been worth full retail, but that doesn't explain the huge mark down ... is it really such a non-desirable coat? I really like it, actually, for that price!

You're right, it depends on whom you ask. But putting that aside, if you like it and it is genuine then by all means buy it. The only person that has to like it is you!

I have a Burberry trench myself but I was lucky enough to stumble across it at a thrift store.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The coat in your provided link, real or not, is microfibre.
Burberry does make microfibre coats but they are the lower end.
They don't wear well because the microfibres are too easily damaged with wear, especially with agressive wear.
A coat like this is basically for show or very light use; just to be seen wearing Burberry.
This is a womens coat. The button flap is going right over left. In a mens coat the flap goes left over right.
They retail for around $600 so this one could have been from some blowout clearance sale from stock that didn't sell well.
If the intended use is for a man, pass on this one. If it is for a women, make certain of the sellers reputation and return policies.
If real, it is a good price, but 'Caveat Emptor'. I am not certain for womens Burberry, but this appears to be of recent vintage,
and,. possibly should have the Burberry Nova Check on the back of the collar. This one does not.

CashmereLover

Reaction score
You're right, it depends on whom you ask. But putting that aside, if you like it and it is genuine then by all means buy it. The only person that has to like it is you!

I have a Burberry trench myself but I was lucky enough to stumble across it at a thrift store.

thumbs-up.gif

Originally Posted by Man Of Lint
The coat in your provided link, real or not, is microfibre.
Burberry does make microfibre coats but they are the lower end.
They don't wear well because the microfibres are too easily damaged with wear, especially with agressive wear.
A coat like this is basically for show or very light use; just to be seen wearing Burberry.
This is a womens coat. The button flap is going right over left. In a mens coat the flap goes left over right.
They retail for around $600 so this one could have been from some blowout clearance sale from stock that didn't sell well.
If the intended use is for a man, pass on this one. If it is for a women, make certain of the sellers reputation and return policies.
If real, it is a good price, but 'Caveat Emptor'. I am not certain for womens Burberry, but this appears to be of recent vintage,
and,. possibly should have the Burberry Nova Check on the back of the collar. This one does not.

Very informative, thank you. My comments:

- I realize which properties that come with the microfibers, but I don't mind, the coat is intended for fine urban walks.
- I doubt it's a women's coat. The seller has Burberry items listed in men's as well as women's categories, this is in men's (along with similar coats in other sizes and colors). And maybe more importantly, the size and the measurements tells me that this is menswear. Style-wise I could personally list it as unisex.
- It's intended for me, a man.
smile.gif

- It's not for show off, the Burberry house check is only visible on the inside, not at the collar or flap etc. This is how I want it. No one will be able to tell that it's a Burberry unless he/she looks very close at the buttons.
- To my benefit, the seller accepts returns (although within a short time frame).

bananananana

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

I don't think Prorsum retail prices are that bad compared to other labels. It's the London and Brit lines that are horribly overpriced imo. The leather/shearling prorsum aviator jacket this past fall was a thing of beauty and sold out before they did markdowns this season.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very informative, thank you. My comments: - I realize which properties that come with the microfibers, but I don't mind, the coat is intended for fine urban walks. - I doubt it's a women's coat. The seller has Burberry items listed in men's as well as women's categories, this is in men's (along with similar coats in other sizes and colors). And maybe more importantly, the size and the measurements tells me that this is menswear. Style-wise I could personally list it as unisex. - It's intended for me, a man.
smile.gif
- It's not for show off, the Burberry house check is only visible on the inside, not at the collar or flap etc. This is how I want it. No one will be able to tell that it's a Burberry unless he/she looks very close at the buttons. - To my benefit, the seller accepts returns (although within a short time frame).

I won't dispute the 'unisex' possibility as I am unsure on that point. Unisex usually provides fot the coat to be buttoned either way, if I am not mistaken. Checking my own Burberry coats and jackets, my button flaps all go left over right. One other thought that came to mind is, should you purchase this coat, the string on the inside that acts as a wind barrier or to shape the waistline; if possible, try not to use it, or if you must, not to over-tighten. Over-tightening will ofcourse cause the fabric to bunch and over time when un-tightened, will reveal wear. I have a Burberry in dark blue microfiber (not this style) and have never used that string, but that is my own preference.

CashmereLover

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint
I won't dispute the 'unisex' possibility as I am unsure on that point.
Unisex usually provides fot the coat to be buttoned either way, if I am not mistaken.
Checking my own Burberry coats and jackets, my button flaps all go left over right.
One other thought that came to mind is, should you purchase this coat, the string on the inside that acts as a wind barrier or to shape the waistline; if possible, try not to use it, or if you must, not to over-tighten. Over-tightening will ofcourse cause the fabric to bunch and over time when un-tightened, will reveal wear. I have a Burberry in dark blue microfiber (not this style) and have never used that string, but that is my own preference.

I already had that thought on the string, I'm not much for shaping the waistline. It's kind of feminine to me.

I'll probably go with a navy coat in this style, just awaiting sleeve measurements from the seller.

Thank you all for your participation.
bigstar[1].gif

CashmereLover

Reaction score
Update: decided to pass on this coat after all. Not because the seller still hasn't provided sleeve measurements after several days (she might be away?), but mostly because I found out that this coat has no back vent.

So now I need help finding another coat. It's intended for spring/summer so I won't need it until April. I know exactly what I want, I just can't find it, hardly even at a price above my budget (not more than $300). Ideally I want this Polo Ralph Lauren coat, but in navy. That would be the perfect coat. I've searched all eBay for Polo, Burberry (these two are my top alternatives for a coat) and a couple of other brands like Brooks Brothers and Mackintosh.

If no such coat gets listed on eBay within a month or so, I'll probably buy the Polo coat. Khaki is OK as long as the styling is right.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads