• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why is the CP Company Zip Sweatshirt so Expensive?

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
weak dollar. hard to make and the name ( which me all the marketing and monies that go into keeping CP Company and Stone Island alive.)

Tooch4321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i like CP Company and from what i know about them is that they have two different lines one which is MII (more expensive) and the other is mostly produced in Romania (slightly cheaper). i was also informed that one of their head designers used to design for Jil Sander, but don't quote me on that....

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
CP Company is a major euro-brand designer with pricepoints to match. It's not as well known as others, but it's meant to compete with the other relaxed, sport-like trendy designers from Neil barrett to Bikkembergs to Prada sport. So, $650 is high... but that's the way the "designer" cookie crumbles.

fredfred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I like their stuff - and the prices are usually high. But $650 for this thing is way out of line. It's a sweatshirt/coat. It's quite nice. I was expecting to see $199, not $700 (with tax).

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why make a big deal of this, lots of things are overpriced yet people pay for them. I usually just choose not to buy something and move on if I don't like the price.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
fredfred, you're not supposed to complain about price and that kind of thing around here. I think it's in the forum rules or something.

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It just means that everyone generally assumes that, particularly in relation to jeans, you already know you're paying way too much for some fabric to cover the legs (which is not the point anyways) so that complaining about price gets to the point where just about everything becomes overpriced.

Saying that a $650 sweater is overpriced begs the questions: is a $400 sweater not overpriced?; is a $200 sweater not overpriced; hell, is a $75 sweater not overpriced?

What point of not being overpriced are we trying to reach?

The people at CP are smart: if they price a sweater at $650 it is because they know it will sell, or they know it will sell on sale at $400. So, in relation to their consumer base, no, it's not overpriced.

paper clip

Reaction score
I love how the company name is only screen-printed on the back neck.

For $658 they couldn't have embroidered it?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fredfred
Thanks. I like their stuff - and the prices are usually high. But $650 for this thing is way out of line. It's a sweatshirt/coat. It's quite nice. I was expecting to see $199, not $700 (with tax).

With the weak dollar, the price is not really that out of line. I am doing a collaboration right now. The piece is really nice, but everyone, from the manufacturer to the designers to the forum to the retailer, are taking a hit and eating some of the costs in order to bring it in at the price we wanted it at. And we don't even have the marketing costs that a company like Sportswear SPA (the parent company of CP company and Stone Island) to worry about...

You may say that a sweatshirt is a sweatshirt is a sweatshirt, but... details and care that are not immediately apparent, like difficult construction methods (even down to the type of stitching used and lower than industry standards on tolerances), high quality trims, expensive materials, not to mention first world labor, all contribute to making an an objectively superior, and more expensive, product.

Many collections for luxury brands actually do not make money. The money is made in beauty and accessories. AFAIK, CP Company does not operate on this model, so the markups reflect what they calculate is necessary to make a decent profit given projected sell throughs.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by paper clip

then it would be $1200

kind of like high-end watches.

you get a model in stainless steel that costs around $35,000
and the one in gold costs around $50,000

$15,000 markup for a gold bracelet (not solid gold) ?

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by paper clip

For $658 they could have left it off altogether.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads