1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Why is sizing so wrong? True size vs brand size

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Zoren, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Zoren

Zoren Member

Today I went to my tailor for a bespoke Prince of Wales suit and I was shocked to find that I have a 40' chest and a 37' waist.

All of my trousers are 34', my belts are 36' and my informal shirts (Polo RL, Lacoste, Nautica) are size Small (for 34-36' chests). And no, I don't wear ill-fitting clothing, it all fits very nicely (some shirts being even too loose on the back). What the hell is going on with the sizing parameters of the clothing industry?

2. Superfluous

Superfluous Senior member

Measure your pants... I think you'll find that he measured your waist/where you wear your pants incorrectly.

3. musicguy

musicguy Senior member

Unless you have a completely flat stomach, your measurement above where you normally wear your pants could be larger. He could be measuring your waist in the wrong area. You can purchase a measuring tape and see for yourself.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
  4. md2010

md2010 Senior member

Mate size for a suit and size for shirts are all different. And many tailors measure a little bigger. So in case if you gain weight you can still wear them. PRL and Lacoste their sizing are spot on. And PRL , Lacoste their F/S shirts S is 36-38. Not 34-36.

5. md2010

md2010 Senior member

Lacoste and PRL have few different cuts on their f/s shirts. Ok these are on their dress shirts not on their polo shirts. PRL- classic, custom and slim (s,m,l,xl…) Lacoste- classic, slim and lacoste live(super slim) – Sizing starts at (38,39,40…….) Lacoste don’t use s,m or l on their dress shirts. ( or maybe just in Australian stocks) PRL slim fit shirt (S size) is a little bit bigger than the lacoste live 38 and a little slimmer than lacoste slim fit 38 shirts. But the shoulder is same on all the three shirts. I own many of them shirts form both brands and can upload picture to prove this. Being 38 chest and 28 waist I cant wear PRL classic or custom or Lacoste classic shirts. So don’t know about fitting on them.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
  6. Erablian

Erablian Member

A 40-foot chest and a 37-foot waist are indeed astounding. Are you green and do you sell vegetables?

7. rickyforever

rickyforever Member

maybe you eat too much and get fat... lol

8. Kenneth Cole Haan

Kenneth Cole Haan Senior member

9. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

Vanity sizing. Google it.

10. joelmccrea

joelmccrea Member

Not sure this is what's going on here, but frequently makers will size for an idealized measure of the natural waist even though the trouser style is worn lower down on the waist, even on the hips.

11. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Oh that is nothing, thanks to body building, my chest measurement is 46 miles.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  12. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

I'm sure sizing varies by country. In the UK i'm good most of the time with L or XL, in China it has to be XXXL, even then things can still be too tight or short.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  13. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

Yes but the UK is the second home of vanity sizing.

There is a new EU sizing system but I wonder if it'll just make things even more complicated. I've got things with I swear five sizes on them.

14. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

Vanity sizing is a fact of life. What bugs me far more than vanity sizing is sizing inconsistency within a brand.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011