• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why is Restaurant Service So BAD at times these days?

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it's great that the OP joined (Aug 2010) just to post this bitchfest.

I will admit one thing though, when I've had waiters screw up my order, I've usually just had them get annoyed when I point it out. "Excuse me? I ordered this without _____" "Oh.. *eyeroll, flash of irritation*"

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Troll.

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by deadly7
I think it's great that the OP joined (Aug 2010) just to post this bitchfest.

*ding*

If the OP is in fact real, then I would suggest the following:

noose.jpg

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you think OP's experience was bad, you haven't dealt with the sommeliers at the PF Chang's over there by the highway.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JesseJB
If you think OP's experience was bad, you haven't dealt with the sommeliers at the PF Chang's over there by the highway.

laugh.gif
Noice.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JesseJB
They need someone to recommend wines at PF Changs? They serve wine at PF Changs?

word

Reaction score
Do you often taste spit in your meals op?

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find the flair that the incompetent wait staff wear at Nobu especially distracting. I mean seriously, where do they think they are China or something?! Last time I was there they must have had their hats on too tight. I asked that they broil the **** out of my toro and it came out completely raw!!

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Springs1
At another restaurant, we have had a waiter forget ranch with bread I requested at a fine dining restaurant. That same waiter made us wait around 15 minutes for a coke and a tea, but yet, brought out wine BEFORE stuff he could have control himself.

I'm not going to read this whole thread cuz it's stupid, but what "fine dining" establishment are you dining in that you would order a side of ranch to go with your bread?

MORE RANCH!!

2335552936_6791e09ea2.jpg

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
You're a peasant. EDIT; excuse me. YOU'RE a peasant.
damn. everyone beat me to it and was much more funny.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KJT
I'm not going to read this whole thread cuz it's stupid, but what "fine dining" establishment are you dining in that you would order a side of ranch to go with your bread?

MORE RANCH!!

2335552936_6791e09ea2.jpg

that's pretty similar to how I picture this woman too.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Kind of on topic, why is it that Americans love to drone on and on about bad service? It is like they think it makes them seem somehow cultured. "Oh, I like that place, but the service can be a little inconsistent." WTF does that mean? This isn't to say that bad service doesn't exist, but it sure is commented on by a lot of people who have no ******* clue what service entails.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Kind of on topic, why is it that Americans love to drone on and on about bad service? It is like they think it makes them seem somehow cultured. "Oh, I like that place, but the service can be a little inconsistent." WTF does that mean? This isn't to say that bad service doesn't exist, but it sure is commented on by a lot of people who have no ******* clue what service entails.

It might be because they pay more for it, to be honest.

To me great service is just service that I don't notice. People ***** about "impersonal" european service but frankly I like that better. After recently going on a cruise, I realized exactly what Americans think good service entails;

1) They want to feel extremely important. They love it if every last ******* person in the FOH, and even Chef, comes and says hi to them and almost begs them to enjoy the meal.

2) Glasses refilled every 3 seconds.

3) Bullshit small talk.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
It might be because they pay more for it, to be honest.

To me great service is just service that I don't notice. People ***** about "impersonal" european service but frankly I like that better. After recently going on a cruise, I realized exactly what Americans think good service entails;

1) They want to feel extremely important. They love it if every last ******* person in the FOH, and even Chef, comes and says hi to them and almost begs them to enjoy the meal.

2) Glasses refilled every 3 seconds.

3) Bullshit small talk.

I think you are right. I don't mind my glass being refilled, but 1 and 2 drive me ******* nuts. Worse yet is when servers treat people like it is their first time ever in a nice restaurant. Sometimes I don't know how 20 somethings can stand going to really nice places.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
ometimes I don't know how 20 somethings can stand going to really nice places.
It helps going with older people who have been to the places before.
smile.gif
But yeah, sometimes it does get annoying. Servers or hosts or captains explaining things like it's the first time I've heard the word. Like what a tasting menu entails. Thanks sweetie, I know what a tasting menu is. This isn't my first time at a restaurant.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads