• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why is plaid flannel considered cool when it really isn't?

PolePosition

Reaction score
So I've noticed that for the past year, especially now since it is cold outside, that alot of designers, stores, etc are putting alot of plaid flannel items up. And I'm seeing alot more of the forumers giving approval as well.

My question is, WHY?... who in the world wants to look like a lumberjack? Then suddenly some genius (used loosely) decides "hey lets make this the new fashion trend". Lets be real here. There is nothing aesthetically pleasing about looking like you cut trees for a living. What's next? Wearing slim cut overalls with straw caps to look like a fashionable farmer?

Again, I ask why people would wear such things and why the fashion elites that I look to for advice would support something that has become a mainstream trend? I thought being stylish was being above getting sucked into fashion mistakes that designers and celebs and the general abercrombie and fitch public pass down as trends.
confused.gif

James Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who doesn't want to look like a lumberjack? Paul Bunyan rules.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PolePosition
My question is, WHY?... who in the world wants to look like a lumberjack? Then suddenly some genius (used loosely) decides "hey lets make this the new fashion trend". Lets be real here. There is nothing aesthetically pleasing about looking like you cut trees for a living.
If only this "trend" had been around twenty years ago, then we'd be able to say you don't have a clue what the **** you're talking about...

Oh wait:
Nirvana_band_members.jpg

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
I love how he decided to make his second post in 2 years this one.

B1FF

Reaction score
One random photo of one obscure guy wearing plaid twenty years ago doesn't disprove his point.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by B1FF
One random photo of one obscure guy wearing plaid twenty years ago doesn't disprove his point.

crackup[1].gif

junebugmm

Reaction score
Yeah, who is that ugly looking guy with the long hair and why do
the 3 guys behind him look like they're his worshipers or something?

But on to the main question, I think plaid flannel is catchy on the eyes.
Its look is not too difficult to pull off, and if you have a really good
color, it can be the outfit you wear the most.

michaeljkrell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by James Bond
Who doesn't want to look like a lumberjack? Paul Bunyan rules.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Baints2

Reaction score
Originally Posted by B1FF
I really hope you're joking right now LOL!

perusingnature

Reaction score
TIMBER! i don't look like a lumberjack because of my plaid shirt, but because of my grizzled looks and axe swinging tendencies.

but yes i wear plaid all the time. nice and comfy. no lumberjack blood either go figure.

Curious_George

Reaction score
Since when are flannels only for lumberjacks? I know flannels might be "in" with fashion circles again but growing up in Minnesota I've always seen them around . When it's ******* cold you wear what's practical and flannels are warm and therefore very practical. I don't know, I don't get the hate. I've basically always seen them around in winter and never thought they looked bad at all.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads