• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why is plaid flannel considered cool when it really isn't?

davo10375

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bring The Noise
00100m.jpg

So dope
Junya watanabe fw07

holy ****....

JPGM
eh.gif

Can't believe people hating on plaid flannel... its just a type of shirt. You also shouldn't wear pants because your an animal by the way
smile.gif

mulansauce

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by davo10375
Can't believe people hating on plaid flannel... its just a type of shirt.
I always thought plaid was a type of pattern and flannel was a type of fabric. Interesting.

davo10375

Reaction score
ya thats my understanding just going from the title though...

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mulansauce
I always thought xmas knit sweaters were cool, period. Maybe this is why I don't post fit pics.

Edit: Here is me in a Ninja Turtles knit, at Christmas time. Not quite a christmas sweater, but the best I could do:

103278985_9315ff2f3a.jpg

I got two of those gatehouses and my brother got the big castle on the hill. We had a full fortress until my little jealous bastard cousin came over.

Surfrider

Reaction score
Plaid flannel is just like anything else in that it has the potential to be both cool and stylish, or awkward and hideous; it's all about the wearer's demeanor and attitude, and their level of comfort (ergo, their level of confidence) in what they're wearing.

For example, I think Brad Pitt in Ocean's Eleven looks cool as ****, but I could never pull off that look because I would feel as if the clothes were wearing me, others would pick up on it, and I would look like a fool. On the other hand, I have grown up in a rodeo family, so western shirts, Wranglers, boots, and a hat feels perfectly natural to me. Even though I don't usually dress myself in such attire, when I do, I look good because I have self-confidence.

I should add that common sense is important, too. If you try rocking a super-tight, several-buttons-undone, hipster-esque plaid flannel shirt, or if you pair plaid flannel with, say, a high-end, slim-fitting trouser, Allen Edmonds wingtips, a Rolex, and Gucci shades, you're going to look like a fuckwit even if you're the most self-assured motherfucker on the planet.

It's all about self-confidence and common sense, just like everything else under the greater umbrella of "style."

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads