• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why is plaid flannel considered cool when it really isn't?

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PolePosition
Ugly. Excessive zippers on the pants serve no purpose aesthetically nor functionally. The leather jacket is just plain ugly. And the flannel just adds the finishing touches on a horrific outfit.
This isn't really as objective of a thing as i think you make it out to be. The zippers i'm sure are functional, but their utility could probably be questioned. I think it's hard to say they do nothing aesthetically, as i think it does a good job getting across the vision of the designer and is pretty consistent with most junya stuff i've seen. Damn. I like that though. If i lived in new york or some other bigger more industrial city (chicago, boston, etc..) i'd love to rock that straight as a runway getup. I <3 Junya.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
deconstructed pants
Um... bondage pants. Not a novel concept. Available, I suspect, at your local Hot Topic for less than $50.

Bring The Noise

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tagutcow
The jacket and shirt are replicas of easily obtainable American brands that cost a small fraction of what those undoubtedly do. Shouldn't high fashion at least try to put a new spin on it?
Taking a look at your local american brands lately? they're not exactly cut slim, i.e. waist suppression, high armholes, narrow arms

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by milosz
Um... bondage pants. Not a novel concept. Available, I suspect, at your local Hot Topic for less than $50.

If you seriously think they're the same thing I may have to slap you.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bring The Noise
Taking a look at your local american brands lately? they're not exactly cut slim, i.e. waist suppression, high armholes, narrow arms

Well Schott sized down would look very similar. Here's Leonard Leroy's:
waywtbeanie.jpg

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do not like. Little asian kids can't do rockstar.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you seriously think they're the same thing I may have to slap you.
Yeah, I'm sure the quality and craftsmanship are beyond reproach, etc. etc. etc..

But the argument was that Fashion Designer X had put a unique spin on these articles of clothing, etc. - as an example, zippers! Except that's not unique or new at all. They're bondage pants. A 30-year old fashion concept.

mulansauce

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ugly. Excessive zippers on the pants serve no purpose aesthetically nor functionally. The leather jacket is just plain ugly. And the flannel just adds the finishing touches on a horrific outfit.
WTF is an aesthetic purpose?

chronoaug

Reaction score
I think he's trying to apply mc or aaac rules to fashion, which is different from looking like cary grant. They were put there purposely to achieve a certain aesthetic.

Leon looks pretty good in that pic but i wish he was standing more naturally and had a better haircut (i think that may be old and his hair is better now).

zubin

Reaction score
i always thought flannels were &quot;ironically cool&quot;....kinda like those xmas knit sweaters

mulansauce

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always thought xmas knit sweaters were cool, period. Maybe this is why I don't post fit pics. Edit: Here is me in a Ninja Turtles knit, at Christmas time. Not quite a christmas sweater, but the best I could do:
103278985_9315ff2f3a.jpg

chronoaug

Reaction score
How the hell did i not have that turtle maker growing up? I swear i owned every other piece of ninja turtle lore. I'm going to chastise my parents next time i see them. Then again, maybe i did have it but like a typical child, forgot about it about an hour after i first used it.

mulansauce

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had TWO, *****. Although I never used either and I tottally forget what the hell it even did.

Egdon Heath

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bring The Noise
00100m.jpg

Ugly. Excessive zippers on the pants serve no purpose aesthetically nor functionally.
I think it's where he keeps his heroin.​

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads