1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Why is Moncler so expensive?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by lpalma121, Oct 29, 2009.

1. gsugsu

gsugsu Senior member

Phat Guido,

it's silly, frankly laughable, to make a blanket statement that Moncler is form over function. there are many different lines and some of their coats constitute seriously functional cold weather gear.

as far as I can tell, the sole purpose of my model, for example, is "inpenetrable" warmth. For such a "functional" coat, it doesn't look bad either, which was a key reason I bought it.

If I had to spend a long time in the cold and could only pick one coat from my closet to take with me, my Moncler would be it. I don't even consider wearing it if the temperature is above freezing. the jacket is too warm for that. In Chicago, sadly, that still presents plenty of opportunities.

and others, to say the value isn't there is, in my opinion, highly debatable. at full retail, I don't know. but it's easy to find these heavily discounted. I paid less than $400 for mine. At the time I bought it I visited several "outdoor" type shops and was looking at various Patagonia and Northface type models. The Moncler won on price-to-quality, form and functionality.

I don't ski in it nor would I use it for other outdoor sports (too warm and doesn't breathe), and I don't wear it to work (not dressy enough). I wear it when it is butt-ass cold and I don't want to feel it.

just my two cents

Maybe at discount Moncler becomes a consideration. However, there are other manufacturers that make better quality. Style is left to the eye of the beholder. But certainly before I considered Moncler I would (and have) purchased, used and abused Feathered Friends, RAB, PhD, & Mountain Hardwear.

2. modern_leifeng

modern_leifeng Senior member

Is Moncler all made in Europe or are some of them made in China? Also, as an aside (and not to completely thread jack), I've seen a number of grey wool bransons on sale on ebay and other sites, its not a model in the 09 season (the 09 branson only seems to come in red), but is it something from last year? Does anyone know? Help would be greatly appreciated!

3. Don Carlos

Don Carlos Senior member

But you're missing the reason behind the OPs question - is there another reason: quality, exotic materials/capabilities, rareness of materials/workmanship, etc.

If the jacket incorporates super-exclusive-ultra-rare-whatever that forces the price to be $900, then Moncler's couldn't lower the price even if people weren't willing to shell out thousand's of dollars for said materials.

Which is what I think the OP was originally interested in understanding...

No, you're missing my point. Moncler jackets don't include any materials or workmanship exotic or expensive enough to make the $900+ price tag justified based on production costs alone. The price includes a very hefty premium for the brand name. If Moncler were selling its jackets at or just above cost, they'd be a lot less expensive than they are.

I'm not saying the materials aren't good, or that the workmanship isn't good, because they are and it is. But the price tag reflects a fairly significant margin for branding. So do most designer clothes, for that matter.

4. newinny

newinny Senior member

This is a damn fine jacket: [​IMG]

5. maltess

maltess Senior member

This is an old thread but... I have seen drametic discounts on moncler in different sites, like 70% , if you make a serch its easy to find, is ths normal with Moncler, its a fake?

cheers

6. gsugsu

gsugsu Senior member

Most of these sites are for counterfeit Moncler products.

7. hammertime

hammertime New Member

The best way to check authenticity is ask the seller for the Certilogo code

8. gyasih

gyasih Senior member

+100000

9. superfishy8

superfishy8 Well-Known Member

there are plenty of pages that accurately describe ways to spot a fake moncler. make sure you can see as many pictures as possible!
    if you're looking for cheaper versions of moncler, i have a wonderful duvetica jacket that is very similar and (in my belief) better in construction.
    unlike moncler, they do go on sale, and they are just as slim and warm. worth looking into

10. gaga8876

gaga8876 New Member

11. gaga8876

gaga8876 New Member

All these other people who responded are not answering your question lol. The answer is NOT just because they think people will pay it, it's because Moncler uses level 4 down, which is the highest grade of down. Level 4 down contains the smallest and (thus) most softest pieces of feather. Also, the amount of this "extra soft down" is a much smaller percentage of the average amount of down that comes off a chick. Most items that boast being made with down usually contain a level 1 or 2 grade of down. Moncler packs their coats full of this down and because the individual feathers are SO small, they make for extremely warm coats. Lol I live in buffalo ny and trust me, the rumors are true we get a LOT of snow and it gets bitter cold. (2 years ago we got 7 feet overnight lol) I've had my Moncler for 3 years and it's the best coat I've ever owned. It still looks like new. The coats also are made very we'll... Fox fur hood on mine.. It's so warm I can't even wear it unless it's freezing out. That is why they're so expensive... Don't get me wrong the brand takes reason for the price too-- but it's not just that.

12. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

Moncler opened a store in Houston. If the jackets are really as warm as people say they are, then Houston might not be a good location to open a store.

13. meFIRST

meFIRST Active Member

I just bought a moncler jacket after lusting for one for a while and did my research prior so I thought I would respond here. The Thom Browne line is a work of art, and well as the higher end lines. After wearing this for a while, I came to the following observations

Plusses

- Its a jacket you want to wear when temperates drop below freezing. Its VERY warm, yet VERY light, and extremely packable. You can roll this easily and fit the jacket into a small tote bag if you want to. Try doing that with any other down jacket. This makes it a huge plus if you travel to super cold countries and shuttle to warmer places sometimes. Don't need to worry about lugging this huge coat, the coat collapses and then expands when you need it, flawlessly. I could easily fit the coat into a small carry on, inside the carry on. This is impossible to do with any other puffer jacket

- The down is real down, high quality down and very fine. This makes it light and very warm. Also expensive. There is only so much down feathers, and this is filled with the small fine feathers. A whole jacket filled with small feathers. Weighs nothing yet keeps me very warm.

- Stylish and well constructed. Moncler uses Polyamide which is better than Nylon.

- If you stop by the boutiques, its quite the experience. Excellent service. In the US there is one in New York, Las Vegas,, LA and I even saw one in Honolulu? ( huh) and Singapore ( huh?)

Negatives

- Its very expensive. I recommend getting this in Europe if you can. ( prices slightly less than in the US)

- Polyamide easily burns so be careful if you walk on the street with people holding cigarettes, a lot of people have their jackets damaged because of this. Its a very light material but don't get it near a fire. Trade off

- Treft magnet. I personally know someone who had his moncler jacket stolen from the overhead bin on a plane. I put a tile locator app on mine.

Toss up
    - It seems that this is the IT must have jacket in China and Korea, the same way every woman in Japan wants a Louis Vuitton bag. Gets attention in Asia.

And finally a word caution
    - Do not, do not ever buy your jacket on line from moncler.com . Moncler.com is run by Yoox Net-A-Porter, in collaboration with Moncler. I had high hopes with the store since I am a Mr. Porter EIP ( lol "Extremely Important Person" their VIP shopping service) , but service and follow up is virtually non existent, there is no number to call, delivery took forever, they didn't answer emails, and charged my card in the tune of several thousand dollars despite not sending the jacket. Do what I do, buy it at a boutique. The boutique experience is good. Moncler.com is useless.

- Beware of fakes. No eBay etc. Before you buy check. Moncler has an authenticity site, code.moncler.com where you can check the authenticity of the jacket. At this price point, I want the real thing. And there is a difference between real vs fake, the real one will use fine down in high percentages. The fake ones use mystery filler, who knows and mystery materials. Save a bit, work harder, buy the real thing.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017