• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

lpalma121

Reaction score
I'm perplexed how they justify that $900 and up price tag on these shiny bubble jackets. Does anyone know why? Besides the usual response such as, "that's what they think people will pay for it". Does the down that's used to fill it come from organic geese or something.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lpalma121
I'm perplexed how they justify that $900 and up price tag on these shiny bubble jackets. Does anyone know why? Besides the usual response such as, "that's what they think people will pay for it". Does the down that's used to fill it come from organic geese or something.
"That's what they think people will pay for it" is the correct answer, so I'm not sure why you don't want to hear it. If the market will bear that price, they can get away with charging it, and so they do. This is basic economics. It sounds cheesy and it sounds like a cop-out answer, but it's the honest answer. Demand for those bubbly, shiny jackets at $900+ is apparently keeping up with supply, if not outpacing it. If people weren't willing to shell out thousands of dollars for Moncler's items, Moncler would lower the price. As is, they see no need. I'm not making the claim that the quality of Moncler's jackets justifies the price, mind you. But that's more or less irrelevant to economics. People pay for a brand, especially in the fashion industry. There is a widespread consumer tendency to equate high prices with high quality and high value, which is why Moncler prices its items the way it does. We on this forum might not agree, but since we are a mere drop in the bucket to Moncler, we don't matter. Enough people are voting "yes" with their wallets that our "no" doesn't count. Personally speaking, I own a Moncler jacket and really like it. It was a gift, though. I probably wouldn't have paid full retail for it. But again, I'm not the typical customer for them.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They do make really nice coats. I went to their store yesterday and I'm tempted to buy a sweatershirt for nearly $400, their stuff is really warm and cut really slim.

&Son

Reaction score
For many years they made the finest down products in the world (IMHO). They still make items far superior to many brands to which they are often compared. Also, because they can.

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
they really aren't that well made, especially to justify the price. There is better out there, but thats not to say they are not nice.

withstyle

Reaction score
I've had a Moncler coat for several years. I love it - it's absolutely impermeable to cold. I tried on many other coats when I bought it. the quality stood out.

That was 2006, so perhaps the quality has changed as they've moved more into the mass market. I had certainly never heard of the label when I bought it - made the decision based on look and feel alone.

I can't speak to the many shiny, "prada-ish" looking ones I see everywhere now. I should also mentioned I managed to get mine something like 60% off.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
for me if its that much then it must have a lifetime warranty (ala LL bean/Filson). That way you're buying into the quality of the coat and assurance of good customer service.

also anything that amount should last your more than 2 seasons (and them some). I've had some barbour jackets get holes or have the zipper break after a year of use making them expensive to own (and to have it officially repaired reproofed).

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The products are well made and tailored to to fit nicely but low self esteem and/or the need to show off a branded, expensive product probably has something to do with it.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
they employ French people to blow air into those bubbles in them jackets, piece by piece.

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are less function than form..

Warm they are, but not water or shower proof..

gsugsu

Reaction score
+1 there are many other makers with far superior products in terms of function and durability with a lower price point. However, I do kind of like their idea of combining a wool outer with down. that said, their pricing is ridiculous and it is marketing: produce something that the beautiful people will wear and they will pay whatever price you want them to.

armorarmylt

Reaction score
this just made me chuckle out loud
eh.gif

Originally Posted by acidicboy
they employ French people to blow air into those bubbles in them jackets, piece by piece.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Thom Browne-designed line they have is pretty nice.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics