Why is it so hard to find readily-available high-vamp sleek penny loafers for < $500?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by cioni2k, Dec 28, 2011.

1. cioni2k

cioni2k Senior member

So I'm looking for a pair of penny loafers that are sleek/dressy (not moc-toe) with a high vamp. I've bought numerous pairs only to sell them immediately for numerous reasons (fit, last-shape, etc.). Maybe I am terribly picky.

Once upon a time I purchased a pair of Edward Green for Ralph Lauren Purple Label Barksdale loafers (seen here) off the SF forum used:

[​IMG]

They were unfortunately, a half-size too small for me (US8D). But my-oh-my did I love them. As far as I'm concerned they are my favorite loafers out there.

Next I tried a pair of Vass Loafers on the New Peter last in size 41, but they were, much to my surprise, too large for my TTS 8.5D foot. Apparently the last must fit roomy/large. These, IMO, were amazing as well, but unfortunately the sizing wasn't for me. Picked them up used off the forum also so no luck finding another pair.

[​IMG]

Next up was a pair of Alden Shell Cordovan LHS loafers I found on the forum here in 8.5D. I thought I had found my match finally :nodding:. They fit like a glove, but the vamp was just too short and it really bugged me. IMO a short vamp looks very feminine and I am not a fan. So, flipped they were. Got my money back.

[​IMG]

Somewhere along the way I also tried these Allen Edmonds for Brooks Brothers at deep discount during one of BB's sales:

[​IMG]

I eventually ended up returning them. I have no problem with AE, I'm actually a big fan and have a few pairs, but something about these rubbed me the wrong way. The leather quality was so-so, the fit wasn't great, and the last was sort of blobby and not refined. Wasn't thrilled so.. returned they were.

FINALLY I purchased a pair of Ralph Lauren Darlton/Marlow Shell Cordovan Loafers. These need no introduction here on SF, but I will post the picture for the sake of the thread. I tried an 8.5D and a 9D, and the last just WILL not work for my foot. Truly sad since I got them for 40% + 15% off during the RL sale and they are absolutely stunning shoes. But unfortunately, not for me. My brother was able to swap them for a 9D and keep them though (DAMN!)

[​IMG]

...I should add that I DO own a pair of these Ralph Lauren penny loafers in snuff suede. They are a really fun shoe but not something I can wear day-to-day and don't fit the bill for a sleek dressy penny loafer:

[​IMG]

SO, now that we've seen how absolutely crazy I am in my long-term search for the perfect penny loafer, does anybody have any suggestions? I know C&J is probably the way to go, but my searches on Ebay for a UK7.5E / US8.5D as of lately have not been so great. Pediwear doesn't seem to have a lot of sizes readily available. Plal is closing up shop. I've also searched on Pediwear for anything decent from Loake, Church's, Tricker's, Barker, but came back with nothing. Been searching on ebay for C&J, Santoni, Sutor, Alden, but have been coming up short.

I'm also in a position to get 50% off MSRP from any RL line, so I've been looking at these Ralph Lauren Purple Label (Made in Italy) Garth Penny Loafers, made by whom I assume has to be Silvano Sassetti:

[​IMG]

IMO they look really great, but even at 50% the $1250 MSRP, I think $625 is too much to drop on these.

Any thoughts?!

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  2. theyare

theyare Senior member

Yeah, I think the C&J Sydney is the way to go if you want to pay up for them or track them down.

3. Superfluous

Superfluous Senior member

I didn't read your whole post so this could be completely irrelevant. But I wear 11B Allen Edmonds Westchester and they're pretty sleek to me. The best part about Allen Edmonds is the range of sizing, the no need for discount (although nice), and the availability to get those sizes.

Here's a pic I took of my Walnuts. Although my brown ones are the same size, the stitching on the top is narrower, which gives the shoe a sleeker look. Not sure why it's different.

[​IMG]

4. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

You could also try Santoni, Gravati, Sutor Mantellassi or Shipton & Heneage.

5. cioni2k

cioni2k Senior member

Hmm, can anyone clarify if these are the re-branded Brooks Brothers calf-skin loafers I posted above? Or are they a different model/last?

Edit: on further investigation, they don't seem to be

I haven't looked at Gravati yet, will investigate.

Thanks for the suggestions so far everyone.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  6. Superfluous

7. Viral

Viral Senior member

what about the Carmina penny loafers on the Simpson last?

8. Superfluous

Do any of these higher end brands offer an 11B type of narrow?

9. cioni2k

cioni2k Senior member

These may be a valid option. ~$500 is on the top tier of what I want to spend (new or used), but I will certainly investigate more! Any other places to buy Carmina other than Ebay and The Armoury?

10. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

So you are complaining because of what exactly? Because you bought used shoes without trying them on and then found out that the lasts didn't work for you? Maybe you should go to a shoe store and... you know... try some shoes on? Or just deal with the fact that you can't afford the shoes you want new and be patient until the right one does pop up?

11. cioni2k

cioni2k Senior member

Not that I've seen. Best I've seen in terms of alternate widths is a UK F / US E fitting. I think you might have to go MTO shoes for that from the higher-end brands.

12. cioni2k

cioni2k Senior member

Thanks for being a dick. I'm asking for recommendations for a penny loafer that I can find online easily in the $300 - $500 range and I listed the ones I have already tried as to avoid those suggestions and show the style I am interested in. I'm not complaining. Thanks for your input :sarcasm:

13. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

Fine, then I'd say just keep an eye out at Brooks Brothers in their sale section, Polo as well. Generally both have good quality shoes that go on sale all the time.

14. Viral

Viral Senior member

you can buy directly from Carmina.......send them an email of what you want and they will let you know what's up, unless you happen to find the pair you want on their website.

15. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

http://www.carmina.telemaco.es/index.asp?nididioma=230