• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why is Harry Windsor dressed so atrociously now?

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think he or his brother have ever been particularly well dressed. Isn't this sort of a normal look for him?

I don't know if I would call him atrociously dressed. I think both dress better than the average guy, but neither is particularly stylish.

We also had this convo two years ago

I don't think they ever dressed well, but they both used to wear quality items and stick to some basic standards. I don't know what William wears these days (fwiw I overlapped with him at St Andrews and I remember him as a bland, unsophisticated dresser). But they both used to wear bespoke suits when in a suit. And the short socks? I just can't get past that.

I asked the question just because the males in this family are usually well-known for their style (Charles, Prince Michael, etc). Anyway it doesn't matter at all; I was just surprised. I don't normally pay attention to these people but yesterday I saw that picture splashed on the front page of the Guardian and the sock caught my eye. Then I couldn't help noticing the atrocious shoulders on that jacket, and then I looked closer and saw the machined pick stitching down the front, and then made the mistake of posting here. Sorry, folks.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think they ever dressed well, but they both used to wear quality items and stick to some basic standards. I don't know what William wears these days (fwiw I overlapped with him at St Andrews and I remember him as a bland, unsophisticated dresser). But they both used to wear bespoke suits when in a suit. And the short socks? I just can't get past that.

I asked the question just because the males in this family are usually well-known for their style (Charles, Prince Michael, etc). Anyway it doesn't matter at all; I was just surprised. I don't normally pay attention to these people but yesterday I saw that picture splashed on the front page of the Guardian and the sock caught my eye. Then I couldn't help noticing the atrocious shoulders on that jacket, and then I looked closer and saw the machined pick stitching down the front, and then made the mistake of posting here. Sorry, folks.

Charles and Prince Michael are of a different generation. I’m not sure what we expect from their lot.

Reactions: RSS

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fair enough. For the record, I'd guillotine the lot of them. But this is a forum about men's dress, not politics.

my comment was not political. I was referring to their state of dress and why some are perpetually surprised by how ordinary and bland William and Harry are.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess it's surprising given how their dad and grandad and uncles dress. But really I don't think the blandness is the issue here. My concern was more to do with basic quality and norms like OTC socks.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess it's surprising given how their dad and grandad and uncles dress. But really I don't think the blandness is the issue here. My concern was more to do with basic quality and norms like OTC socks.

It may have been more an issue of expectations then. Also, the Royals seemed to really see themselves as set apart.

I don’t think these two do. They both married a couple of social climbing commoners. They both seem to go out their way to appear as anything apart from who or what they are. The only time either of them look the part it’s when they wear their ceremonial military garb complete with an assortment of baubles.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think he has a lot bigger problems than his atrocious fashion sense. Being married to a pathological narcissist and positive psycho who has cost him every relationship he's ever had, for instance, seems far more pressing.

You've never been with someone so enthralling that you're completely willing to gut the rest of your life just to be with them?

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People writing here that it is some kind of terrible thing that Harry had to give up his family clearly have no idea what the British aristocracy and monarchy are like. These are the worst ******* people in the world, they are an archaic waste of space, and their whole existance is entirely parasitic. He must feel so liberated to have absolutely nothing to do with them any more. It doesn't surprise me that he's also rejected their style norms too. In the end, while it is of course possible to be a good and well-dressed person, if I was offered a choice between the two, I'd take being good every time. Perhaps now he's in California, DWW and others can introduce him to Evan Kinori and other forum casual favourites...

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

As someone else mentioned, I don't think Harry is interested in being part of that lifestyle and would like to lead a normal life, probably traumatized by the death of his mother.

Personally, I think he looks fine. I don't know if I would call him atrociously dressed. He's very "J. Crew looking." TBH, questionable suit + bad choice for shoes is very Styleforum, too.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But those socks? Maybe it's a European thing but that looks really like he's going out of his way to pretend to be joe sixpack, which I find jarring (for context: in Italy nobody with a socioeconomic status of lower middle class or higher would remotely consider wearing short socks, let alone with a suit).

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
But those socks? Maybe it's a European thing but that looks really like he's going out of his way to pretend to be joe sixpack, which I find jarring (for context: in Italy nobody with a socioeconomic status of lower middle class or higher would remotely consider wearing short socks, let alone with a suit).

Short socks are pretty normal here. I agree that OTC socks are better with a suit, but I don't think he would look dramatically different with OTC socks. He's still a very J. Crew type dresser, which IMO is fine.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I get that. But it still seems a jarring political statement. I mean, Oprah wouldn't be interviewing him if he weren't who he is, and pretending to be a regular joe with those socks just seems fake to me.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yeah I get that. But it still seems a jarring political statement. I mean, Oprah wouldn't be interviewing him if he weren't who he is, and pretending to be a regular joe with those socks just seems fake to me.

Seems like it would be a long act if he was faking it, since he has always dressed like that.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He didn't always dress like that. I mean, here he was still wearing a good suit. Nothing particularly interesting, but good cut and fit (from the buttonhole and silhouette I'd guess a middle of the road Savile Row maker). I bet he was also wearing OTC (i.e. normal) socks that day. Why is he going out of his way to look like crap now? He didn't even have to wear a suit for that interview, right?

1615216555728.png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads