• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

why is durability such an important issue on this forum?

junior varsity

Reaction score
well ever since day 1 i always wondered...
why is durability such an issue for men's clothes compared to women's clothes?

like everyone on this forum wants their stuff to last long enough to pass it down to the next generation or something. It doesnt matter if its suits, shoes, neckties etc etc. all the same - price and durability.

i know women are definitely not like that.
most women dresses probably will last 3-5 times if that, most womens shoes will last maybe a season of regular wear?
women dont really mind how much something costs as long as it looks good.
women dont really mind the durability issues, and they buy based on how something looks instead of how its constructed. - thus why fashion brands mostly cater to women.

now, why do men have to have their clothes last so much longer?

for example - this forum the general consensus is ''oh buy the allen edmonds instead of guccis or ferragamos because allen edmonds even though its mostly an obscure/niche brand it makes good year welted shoes.''
we all know good year welted shoes can be resoled many times and is a lot more durable than the italian blake/bologna construction ones.
but the gucci/ferragamo/prada ones even though are less durable, but definitely look a lot more fashion forward, 21st century, and stylish.
yes, they do cost more than allen edmonds, but if it looks good, who cares?

no way a pair of park aves can match a pair of ferragamos in terms of trendy/style/fashion forwardness.

isnt this "style forum" or rather is it "wardrobe best bang for the buck/durability forum"?

if it is indeed style forum, shouldnt it promote what the magazines/television/movies/red carpet show case? like GQ, Details Magazine etc?

richmaguni

Reaction score
I've heard Details magazine is a great publication if you've run out of cologne.

ismelllikepoop

Reaction score
justification for buying clunky looking shoes. also, wearing a hugo boss suit will disintegrate after one or two wears, and A/X sunglass lenses spontaneously crack, so you HAVE to get something more durable.

eMacPaul

Reaction score
Originally Posted by junior varsity
if it is indeed style forum, shouldnt it promote what the magazines/television/movies/red carpet show case? like GQ, Details Magazine etc?

It's style forum, not fashion forum.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
OP-appropriate user name!

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
no way a pair of park aves can match a pair of ferragamos in terms of trendy/style/fashion forwardness.

Exactly. There are douche shoes, and there are men's shoes. Your choice, bro.

winston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cue 'La Donna e Mobile'. I want my clothes to last for years, but to be honest, I'm usually bored of them by the time their appropriate season swings around again. Not always but often.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
You guys are too harsh. Personally, I'm tickled that e.e. cummings graces our little forum with his presence.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Durability isn't as much an issue as quality is. Ferragamo vs Allen Edmonds is a bad comparison since Ferragamo is usually twice the price as AE is at retail. Many people on SF don't want to pay a lot of money for clothing, so the consensus is to opt for at least a quality product. AEs are made properly and use proper full-grain leather. If you have more money, buy something more stylish. But in the $200-300 range, AE is the best option all around, imo. And they can be got for in the low $100 range sometimes. Try spending that much at a regular shoe stoe, and tell me what you get. Shoes made with poor construction that look really ******.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's all about justification.

For being perceived as an old man, gay, loner, douche, anti-social....etc....etc.

citizenshame

Reaction score
well ever since day 1 i always wondered...
why is durability such an issue for men's clothes compared to women's clothes?

like everyone on this forum wants their stuff to last long enough to pass it down to the next generation or something. It doesnt matter if its suits, shoes, neckties etc etc. all the same - price and durability.

i know women are definitely not like that.
most women dresses probably will last 3-5 times if that, most womens shoes will last maybe a season of regular wear?
women dont really mind how much something costs as long as it looks good.
women dont really mind the durability issues, and they buy based on how something looks instead of how its constructed. - thus why fashion brands mostly cater to women.

now, why do men have to have their clothes last so much longer?

for example - this forum the general consensus is ''oh buy the allen edmonds instead of guccis or ferragamos because allen edmonds even though its mostly an obscure/niche brand it makes good year welted shoes.''
we all know good year welted shoes can be resoled many times and is a lot more durable than the italian blake/bologna construction ones.
but the gucci/ferragamo/prada ones even though are less durable, but definitely look a lot more fashion forward, 21st century, and stylish.
yes, they do cost more than allen edmonds, but if it looks good, who cares?

isnt this "style forum" or rather is it "wardrobe best bang for the buck/durability forum"?

This was definitely tl;dr, but responding to your subject line, my guess at part of the answer to your question is that durability is an indication of quality, and quality is of course visually apparent. It's not so much the obsession with having an item of clothing "last long" as it is enjoying the look and feel of quality.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't always want my shoes to be too trendy and stylish. I like to wear bright colored clothes for certain occasions and muted classical shoes work great for me in order to not go overboard. Also, dress in slim-fitting suits or sport coats and you won't be perceived as old/douche/loner even if you wear AE. In fact, you will probably stand out in a good way. Also, a good-looking girl by your side helps.

If you think classical = old and boring, then we should all switch to Ed Hardy until we turn 40.

Also, fashion/style is a hobby for me and half the pleasure I get from wearing the clothes I have comes from personal knowledge of their quality and construction. The other half is, of course, looking good and getting compliments.

citizenshame

Reaction score

Ok, I actually read the post this time, and...LOL.

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ter1413
OP-appropriate user name!

I
laugh.gif
'd as a result of this post. Kudos to you, sir.

@OP:
confused.gif
plain.gif

I'm a bit new to this, but isn't this the proper time to say, "lurk moar, n00b." ?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads