• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why I Hate NYU

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mwrenchd
Your friends must be nerds. Maybe it's just the young neighborhood talent that I mistook for NYU students, but the sightseeing in, say Washington Square, is far superior to that in Riverside Park.

I'm talking about on campus kids. The party was off campus closer to midtown but it was a bunch of people my friend met in the dorms his first 2 years. Who knows, maybe he just likes ugly people, but i would not assume nyu has more attractive females than other colleges. If anything, i'd say less than others. There are plenty of attractive young people walking around washington square area though.

If you want to talk about attractive females at a school, come visit UF. Every day i walk around campus i see girls that put mediocre celebrity actresses to shame. And now that it's hot out, people are just laying out in baithing suits and i even had a girl come to class in gym shorts and a sports bra before. Needless to say everyone was really confused. Very little fashion here though. Just hot bodies. For fashion, you have the local hipster kids, who are more like portland type hipsters than super trendy ny youngsters. Too concerned with being vegan and recycling.

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Washington Square is a meeting place for crazies.

TrojanGarb

Reaction score
Nothing to see there. Just your typical left coast liberal hipster

Queue Prof. Hubert J. Farnsworth:

"GET A JOB"

jufros

Reaction score
I just dropped out of Duke to go on tour with my band and record but I'm thinking I'll transfer to Pomona or Claremont in a year or so. I was in a fraternity at Duke and, socially speaking, the school's scene was geared towards social climbing and chronic, sloppy, belligerent drunkenness. Don't get me wrong I enjoy booze just as much as the next college-age guy but not when it takes the place of any type of artistic or alternative scene on campus. Durham is also a horrible town to live in, unless you really love Shooters that much. I was a bio major with a neruoscience concentration and while research opportunities were plentiful, taking bio and psych classes with 400-500 people and a disinterested professor who was forced to curve tests harshly to weed out potential pre-meds... didn't seem worth the time or the money. I usually just skipped class and read up on my own time and did great on tests. Claremont liberal arts schools in CA with small classes, LA nearby, and still a horde of people to meet due to the Claremont consortium... seems so much better. Plus its ******* cold or super humid all the time...

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
*golf clap* I hung out with some kids from NYU and they were all pretty hip and attractive. Definitely the kind of thing that I'm into, although I would probably go with Parson's, SVA or RISD in terms of east coast private schools. RISD in particular had some amazing girls who were so dedicated to the art of sexiness that they wore incredibly short miniskirts on Halloween in sub 30 weather, and walked up and down the hilly streets instead of taking public trans. To add to that, aside from the fact that for the most part RI sucks, I really like the Brown/RISD area. It's a fun place, isolated and college-y like Isla Vista but not permanently stuck in an episode of the Real World.
Dude-- I lived right in this area for 3 years and I loved it. RI has a way of growing on you as well. I thought I was ready to get out of there when I left a year ago and I honestly miss it all the time. I have a lot of good friends from RISD, it is a very very cool place, althought I would say that there is a certain amount of feigned artsy pretentiousness going on with a few of them, but if you find some of the worthwhile people they are an awesome time. Also-- I would say that pretentiousness leads to some of the other kids in the area being a little alienated (I am toally biased because my bro goes to another architecture school in RI and there is obviously some resentment against the RISD "name" despite the fact that the program he is in is probably MORE rigorous). If you have a chance and you are back in the area send me a PM and I can tell you a couple places to stop by, at least one of which is the Wickenden Pub where you should mention my name. Also if you are not ashamed to be seen with a preppy white boy like me, I am in the area pretty often-- I would love to meet up for a beer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads