• We would like to welcome Ratio Clothing as an official Affiliate Vendor. Ratio Clothing specializes in American-made custom shirts offered at a fair price with guaranteed perfect fit. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Why i dont trust Timberland anymore.

jpbrtraveller

Reaction score
That is my third pair of Timberland Boots, and it last only 5 yrs, like using 2 months each year, the first one is like 12 years old and still holding well...

maxalex

Reaction score
Timberland is another company like LL Bean with shoemaking roots in New England that now "sources globally," in other words Made in China (or the Dominican Republic). Like Bean, some iconic Timberland boots are still made in the US (Tennessee) but many are not.

To me provenance is less important than scale. When these companies trade skill for scale (as they all have given the demands of Wall Street), quality suffers. Your choice as a consumer is to just say no and move up to more hand-crafted boots.

I don't keep up with the better brands of outdoor boots, but I own a pair of Italian-made Zamberlans that over 30 years have trod the Grand Canyon, game parks in Ghana and portions of the Appalachian Trail. They are still going strong.

Dressier boot choices would include Truman, Oak Street and many other such Goodyear welted brands in the $500 range. That price point is hardly the pinnacle (see Lobb, Green) but it does buy a boot that will last literally a lifetime with infrequent re-crafting. They certainly won't pull apart at the toe.

Last edited:

Jeremiah Say

Reaction score
Timberland aren't as great as they used to be like what @maxalex had mentioned. I totally agree! Nevertheless, Timberland still makes awesome looking fashionable boots. That... I can't argue! I just bought a pair of Timberland a month ago because I can't resist it :(

bigwilly

Reaction score
Timberland is the Cole Haan of the boot world. Was pretty good long ago, now mass produced in 3rd world countries. I agree that some of there boots do look good and for the prices they charge now, are considered throw aways after a few seasons. I'm surprised you got 5 seasons of use out of them.

That said there is a place for boots like these. I wear timberlands when it's really crappy out, salt and sand all over the roads/sidewalks, slush, water - they're a good beater boot.

johng70

Reaction score
I agree with bigwilly. I have an old pair that I use for snowblowing and muddy yard work. But, the combination of glue vs. welting and move to offshore means I prefer made-in-US welted boots for normal wear. I do still have a pair of Osolo trekking boots because I prefer the technical design for that purpose but I wouldn't expect them to fair as well as my White's or AE or Alden boots if I were wearing them regularly.

jayvee

Reaction score
Thought I’d resurrect this with a sizing query. I want to order a pair of the 3 eyelet lug sole boat shoes and was wondering how they fit? For reference I am a uk 8.5 in redwing and Chippewa (boots) and normally a uk9 in most Brit and Italian good year

Featured Sponsor

HOW OFTEN DO YOU SHOP FOR CLOTHES ONLINE?

• I mainly buy my clothes online.

• I shop online only if there is a sale.

• I shop online when shipping and returns are free.

• I shop in store only for very expensive items I want to try on.

• I mainly shop in store.

Results are only viewable after voting.