• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why has this forum said to roll up sleeves above elbows?

Mr. Potato

Reaction score
I usually roll to my forearms. Don't see anything wrong with it. Just a matter of preference.
purpleshirtbm3.jpg

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I think that the second pic is a bit misleading. It looks like the shirt has safari-style tabs that pin the rolled-up cuff to the upper sleeve. It looks like you have to roll the sleeves up that high in order to button the tabs.

The first pic looks like something that the King of Queens would wear to a nightclub.

I'd say that rolling it up to right beneath the elbow works just fine.

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sometimes I roll to just above my wrists, very daintily.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
I usually roll just below the elbow, but as the day goes on and it starts to unroll or feel tight on my elbow i sometimes opt to push it above the elbow because it's easier. I don't like however, the really neat high roll like that all too much. Mine are normally tighter and more casual, but that's just me.

I<3Bacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My sleeve rolls always wind up looking like Mr. Potato's.

I dunno why, but the sleeve roll was the first thing I noticed in LK's last WAYWT post (one of my most fav WAYWT's ever):

2680959206_2d89b3dbb0.jpg

Nonchalant, doesn't seem rolled as high, yet doesn't look sloppy.

crosswound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i roll my sleeves wherever it feels right at the time. i rarely have mine above my elbows though.

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I roll to above the elbow. I used to roll to the forearm, but after reading a small spot in GQ (don't shoot!), it just stuck with me.

It said something about the roll above the elbow being reminiscent of 50's styling and ever since then I've more appreciated the look. I think sometime below the elbow can look sloppy especially if the cuff is rolled, rather than folded (I hope that makes sense).

hustlenflo22

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saucemaster
Both of those look like ****. Roll to the upper forearms, just below the elbows. If I have to pick one of those pics at gunpoint, I'd rather the first than the second. The second looks like someone described short sleeves to a blind man who owned nothing but long-sleeved shirts.

Correct on all accounts, the latter is too high and the former just looks sloppy...

redgrail

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I Potato-roll.
You should too.

mdeep1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Potato
I usually roll to my forearms. Don't see anything wrong with it. Just a matter of preference.
Yeah, when I roll this is as high as it goes. Never further past that.

Orange

Reaction score
I've never did understand how you roll. Somehow all my rolls end up turning into folds because rolls just never look natural.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads