1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Why 'Elite' Jeans Cost So Much - No Mention of Selvedge!

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Augusto86, Jul 14, 2006.

1. Augusto86

Augusto86 Senior member

Thought denim-heads would enjoy the article.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/12/bu...=1&oref=slogin

2. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

Wow production costs are $100/pair? I just don't see this. With the large quantities of "premium" jeans going for half that, they have to be getting shelled at that production cost, especially if they're going through a wholesaler. Maybe they're referring to Antik or something of that sort.

3. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

Note the hand-processing. Most companies don't do this.

I read somewhere that APC's denim is $23 / yard (with selvage, two yards per pair are required). That's pretty crazy for just the fabric alone.

4. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

Note the hand-processing. Most companies don't do this.

I read somewhere that APC's denim is $23 / yard (with selvage, two yards per pair are required). That's pretty crazy for just the fabric alone.

Thats true, I suppose they just threw it in there for shock value. What jeans are known to be hand processed?

5. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

Thats true, I suppose they just threw it in there for shock value. What jeans are known to be hand processed?

Prps and 5EP come to mind first and foremost. Their jeans run upwards of $300.

6. j

j Senior member Admin

7. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

The guy has got his decimal in the wrong place. Top grade denim costs about $8/yard, and that is very good denim. Lots of premium brands use much cheaper denim than that. And a really decent laundry place (LA) charges about $14 on average for a pretty good wash. I've seen washes in excess of $25 cost, but those are hand done and really expensive. Of course, a one rinse is bout $1. I am sure that you can get your costs ridiculously high if you so choose, but he is really stretching out there for shock value. Period.

8. DNW

DNW Senior member

What a bullshiter. This is Chinese labor we're talking about.

9. cheapmutha

cheapmutha Senior member

What a bullshiter. This is Chinese labor we're talking about.
    chinese labor in italy

10. VMan

VMan Senior member

I'm guessing some of the women's RL jeans that retail over $400 are probably up in that $100/pr cost range: http://www.polo.com/family/index.jsp...goryId=1960863 Although most of them are not destroyed, but rather embellished, embroidered, etc.
    $600 for jeans that look like they should cost $35 [​IMG] http://www.polo.com/product/index.js...entPage=family EDIT: And these are a steal at $600, down from $1500: http://www.polo.com/product/index.js...entPage=family

11. DNW

DNW Senior member

chinese labor in italy

I wonder what the minimum wage is in Italy.

12. wEstSidE

wEstSidE Senior member

Italy is almost a third world country. I was shocked when I went there; they're even poorer than Spain, which had a crazy dictator till the '70s. It couldn't be that high, especially for migrant workers.

13. DGP

DGP Senior member

I thought 7fam were all-American.

14. limousine

limousine Well-Known Member

Italy is almost a third world country. I was shocked when I went there; they're even poorer than Spain, which had a crazy dictator till the '70s. It couldn't be that high, especially for migrant workers.

where in italy did you visit, north or south? from my vague knowledge of italy, the south is generally poorer compared to the north.

15. pacioli

pacioli Well-Known Member

Note the hand-processing. Most companies don't do this. I read somewhere that APC's denim is $23 / yard (with selvage, two yards per pair are required). That's pretty crazy for just the fabric alone.
    As indicated in the article, the hand-processing refers to handsanding; spraying/painting on stuff like resin, dye, bleach, tint; tying up jeans to crunch them...stuff like that, which are fairly common. He does not mean replacing washing machines with human hands. Still $100/pair of jeans for a wash sounds wayyy too high in production. Maybe he is talking about development work, in which a skilled technician/artist is hired to make samples and test/document wash formulas. At six hours that person is only being paid about $16.60, which is actually low for a consultant. Perhaps he is paid more and is doing more than one garment at a time. Edit: oh and perhaps they have very high overhead and not enough volume to spread it. I really don't see how APC uses $23/yd for their denim. Just LOOK at the fabric. It's not bad but it's worth $23/yd IMO. And I think the fabric consumption (yield) is actually closer to 2.7 to 3+ for narrow selvedge goods. Perhaps total fabric cost is $23/garment?

16. chicbicyclist

chicbicyclist Active Member

Or perhaps, you are basically just paying for the name and the capability to wear such a status symbol? Don't get me wrong, there are high quality denim out there, but guy the sounds like the typical superficial fashion person that is more concerned about hype first.

And those RL jeans are just ridiculously priced. You can get a better looking one for a third of the sale price, and you don't have to even look too hard. Are they trying to price out us meer commonfolk? Oh wait, they are.

17. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

I found the article. I was wrong about the $23 / yd, but according to Jean Touitou, it's still REALLY pricey, especially because it takes 2+ yards to make one pair of jeans.

To wash things before wearing them seems such a waste of time and money, and didn't look good to me. To tell you the truth, I'd be happy if more people did it, because the idea doesn't belong to me anyway. But I'm telling you, nobody will do denim the way we do because nobody is willing to pay this price for a yard of fabric. It was made in Japan. It's woven on a narrow loom with a special yarn. It's an incredibly expensive fabric, as expensive as wool suiting fabric. It's crazy. But I wanted to do it, and nobody can do it the way we do it because nobody is crazy enough to pay $18.00 for a yard of denim. You know it's the narrow width which is very important for the cut.

Funny how things change. Many companies are willing to pay that price now.

18. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member