• We would like to welcome Pete and Harry as an official Affiliate Vendor. Pete and Harry, co-founded by Erik (EFV) one of our long time members and friends, offers a wide variety of products, clothes, watches and accessories, antique, vintage, “pre-loved” and new - all at unparalleled prices. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Why don't they fit?

big man 111

Reaction score
As a large man, i constantly have trouble with clothes fitting. My problem with pant manufactures is the assumptions they make. For instance, if you wear a large waist size (44 and up), the assumption is you must have an ass as big as all outdoors. "relaxed fit, etc" are the typical descriptors.

My shape can best be summed up as "all gut and no butt". This means, if i get something to fit my waist, the ass is baggy. With pleated front pants, it is even worse. The seat is even more loose. I have thought about buying pre owned jeans because they have already shrunk somewhat, but i have to buy an even bigger size because the waist may be smaller due to shrinkage.

I've seen some suggestions but they apply to smaller guys. I'm currently in a size 46 pants. Anything that fits without causing my stomach to cramp looks like i am carrying a load in the back.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can go made-to-measure to help that some but, and I say this with respect as I used to be on the heavy side, lose the gut (unless you're a power-lifter
). You'll appease your vanity and, most importantly, improve your health.

I was never happy buying clothes until I got back in shape.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you might have to go MTM or at the very least find yourself a decent alterations tailor.

Most clothes don't fit most people very well, they are made to fit a sort of theoretical average and any one who is not that has problems. Different brands do have different theoretical averages so it is worth looking around, but you will probably have to get stuff custom made or altered if you want it to fit really well.

Featured Sponsor

LARGE METAL WATCHES WITH TAILORING

• Yes, I’m tacky like that.

• No way José! Dress watch with leather strap for me!

• No watch at all.

Results are only viewable after voting.