• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why don't people at SF like Hugo Boss?

PoloPlayr

Reaction score
Geez. People should stop overanalysing things; their clothes are terrible and probably mostly appeal to "men" who like "fashion". There's the answer.

gumercindo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Professor Chaos
Also, I'm not a fan of german tailoring. Especially how they do shoulders.

kind of irrelevant since it's not owned by Germans anymore?

Professor Chaos

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gumercindo
kind of irrelevant since it's not owned by Germans anymore?
Is that a question, or a statement? If it's a question, then no, it's not irrelevant. It's a German company based in Germany and run by Germans. The fact that it's a publically traded company (listed on German exchanges, btw) doesn't make this any less pertinent. If it's a statement, then I respectfully disagree
smile.gif

Professor Chaos

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PoloPlayr
Geez. People should stop overanalysing things; their clothes are terrible and probably mostly appeal to "men" who like "fashion". There's the answer.
If you don't like fashion, that's fine. Using scarequotes to imply that men with that inclination are somehow insufficiently masculine, and/or that liking fashion is absurd is strange to me, though. I think we can all be secure enough to respect each other's preferences, even when they differ from our own, don't you? Cheers

PoloPlayr

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Professor Chaos
If you don't like fashion, that's fine.

Using scarequotes to imply that men with that inclination are somehow insufficiently masculine, and/or that liking fashion is absurd is strange to me, though. I think we can all be secure enough to respect each other's preferences, even when they differ from our own, don't you?

Cheers

Respect and accept are two different things which tend to get mixed up rather often, wouldn't you say?

Besides, I defend people's right to have bad taste with every breath in my lung.

jacnyr

Reaction score
I purchased a Hugo Boss suit last month at the Nordstrum Rack, it was a $1000 suit I got for the price of $335. The suit fits me great, it looks great. I have received many compliments from the lady's. No, it is not the greatest suit made but; with someone with a 10" drop, I must sometimes go for the fit and looks. I guess as long as I don't stand in the pouring rain, the suit should hold up well.

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
As SF's current Jew In Residence, let me just say that it's ok to make fun of Nazis. It is, in fact, encouraged. People need to stop being so uptight about it.

Besides, if we started boycotting everything with Nazi connections, we'd be avoiding half the brands/manufacturers in Germany. BMW made Nazi motorcycles. Mercedes made Hitler's personal automobile. Hugo Boss, as noted, made Nazi uniforms. Bayer Pharmaceuticals supported Dr. Mengele's experiments and is rumored to have co-sponsored nerve gas research. Etc.

As someone else mentioned earlier, many of these companies have been around for hundreds of years, predating the Nazis, and basically had no choice but to continue production when Hitler came to power. The Nazis basically seized control of the entire country, and it's not as if the German private sector just shut down in that period.

When we talk about how suchandsuch company "made _____ for the Nazis," it's a slightly misleading statement in most cases. These firms didn't leap up and volunteer their services out of some particular loyalty to the party. Volkswagen is the one possible exception I can think of, but even then, come on. Water under the bridge at this point.

I suppose we should start boycotting Brooks Brothers because, at one point in time, the cotton in its shirts was probably picked by slaves?

Well said, a bit of common sense.

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jacnyr
I purchased a Hugo Boss suit last month at the Nordstrum Rack, it was a $1000 suit I got for the price of $335. The suit fits me great, it looks great. I have received many compliments from the lady's. No, it is not the greatest suit made but; with someone with a 10" drop, I must sometimes go for the fit and looks. I guess as long as I don't stand in the pouring rain, the suit should hold up well.

Exactly. I still maintain that if people wore Boss suits in WAYWT and did not say anything people would not notice. Some will argue construction and quality. This may matter for some. I am about to embark on a career (a month) of wearing a suit daily. Maybe I will notice. But for most, when wearing a suit is only called for once a month or less a Boss suit is A OK. How many people really have had the suit fall apart? How many lapels are bubbling? I have never seen this in my life. Not to say it does not happen, but in my world it does not seem to be happening too much.

Larson McCord

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HEWSINATOR
Exactly. I still maintain that if people wore Boss suits in WAYWT and did not say anything people would not notice. Some will argue construction and quality. This may matter for some. I am about to embark on a career (a month) of wearing a suit daily. Maybe I will notice. But for most, when wearing a suit is only called for once a month or less a Boss suit is A OK. How many people really have had the suit fall apart? How many lapels are bubbling? I have never seen this in my life. Not to say it does not happen, but in my world it does not seem to be happening too much.

Sorry if this was already stated in the thread, I only skimmed it. But it seems to boil down to members of this forum appreciating craftsmanship. A canvassed suit simply is more 'work' than a fused suit. There are other advantages but to 99% of the population it doesn't matter.

The main thing is that it seems that Hugo Boss charges a premium for a suit that is made in a similar fashion to low end suits. Knowing how suits are made, why pay as much or more for fused than canvassed? It's been discussed in many threads that 'fused' today isn't the same as years ago, technology is better so you can get a perfectly fine fused suit that will last a long time.

Of course, you can wear a perfectly fine Timex that will be very accurate, but would you pay $3000 for one? You don't buy a Rolex for it's impeccable accuracy, you buy it for the work involved in the product (and the prestige frankly).

Bull

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hugo Boss is not fit for a man, let alone his driver. Frankly, I'd be embarassed to see my landscaper in Hugo Boss.

East Oakland

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HEWSINATOR
If you don't care about construction and quality of clothing, how in the hell did you get to over 800 posts on styleforum? And it's not just that they generally aren't well made, it's that they cost as much as some suits that are well made. If you really don't care what the quality is like, why not just spend a couple hundred buck on an H&M suit and save the extra $$?

gaseousclay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jacnyr

same here, except mine was $700 retail and I got it for $300. it fits me just perfectly. I really don't think anyone here could tell the difference between a full canvass or half canvass suit if they saw it. well, maybe a few and that's a scant few.

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by East Oakland
If you don't care about construction and quality of clothing, how in the hell did you get to over 800 posts on styleforum?

And it's not just that they generally aren't well made, it's that they cost as much as some suits that are well made. If you really don't care what the quality is like, why not just spend a couple hundred buck on an H&M suit and save the extra $$?

I care about having construction and quality that fits my needs. I will reiterate too the point I made about availability earlier. I get the argument of value, but that is skewed on this site too. I can not get a Boss suit for 200 bucks here, or a Canali for 500. All I am saying is that when you read on here about how a Boss suit is worth 200 and you can get better for less, I say that this is not true for many (unless you go online, and that is difficult for some. I have bought at Off 5th and such on holidays and once I pay for tailoring that would be included if I bought at home I am not sure how much ahead I am). Unless you have a well stocked Off 5th or NMLC, etc...If you get a Boss for 500 and it includes alterations and looks good, and you wear a suit a dozen times a year, go for it.

PoloPlayr

Reaction score
I've often heard people refer to Hugo Boss as the firm (in the 80s) that really started the "overcharging for crap quality clothes"-trend.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PoloPlayr
I've often heard people refer to Hugo Boss as the firm (in the 80s) that really started the "overcharging for crap quality clothes"-trend.

They got it right in the tail of the eighties and became iconic in the nineties before being overtaken by the Gucci,Prada ,D&G and other Italian designers...

Hugo Boss suits are overpriced but they're still great for students and first work suits.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads