• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why don't people at SF like Hugo Boss?

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Da Luis Vuitton Don
i like teh accent
inlove.gif

Perhaps we know each other ... in a parallel universe. If not ... maybe a perpendicular one.

BeaconHillBoston

Reaction score
Originally Posted by phxlawstudent
Great marketing department. Plus they're fashionable.

This.

A lot of the "smaller" high quality brands don't have tens of millions of bucks to spend on marketing in all the rags.

I saw a billboard for a Chanel "submariner" watch today. I wonder how many folks are being tricked into buying that garbage.

It's not like I can talk. Until I found this forum, I was one of those idiots : - ( Which was somewhat of a curse, because now I'm gun shy to buy anything I like prior to making sure it's SF approved, lol.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BeaconHillBoston
This.

A lot of the "smaller" high quality brands don't have tens of millions of bucks to spend on marketing in all the rags.

I saw a billboard for a Chanel "submariner" watch today. I wonder how many folks are being tricked into buying that garbage.

It's not like I can talk. Until I found this forum, I was one of those idiots : - ( Which was somewhat of a curse, because now I'm gun shy to buy anything I like prior to making sure it's SF approved, lol.

Chanel still has a couture line for women. Boss isn't in the same league when it comes to men.

BeaconHillBoston

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
Chanel still has a couture line for women. Boss isn't in the same league when it comes to men.

I agree with you. I'm sure their line for women is very nice.

I'm just saying, both Boss and Chanel have large marketing budgets, thus generating lots of exposure; stars wear their stuff -- etc. I'm sure the average consumer who cares about the way they look would assume a Chanel watch was desirable and high quality. I've heard that Chanel produces a small amount of menswear...and of course, the watches.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BeaconHillBoston
I agree with you. I'm sure their line for women is very nice.

I'm just saying, both Boss and Chanel have large marketing budgets, thus generating lots of exposure; stars wear their stuff -- etc. I'm sure the average consumer who cares about the way they look would assume a Chanel watch was desirable and high quality.

Ah ... I missed your point.

BeaconHillBoston

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
Ah ... I missed your point.

It would be interesting to show a bunch of consumers the Chanel watch and a Hamilton and see which one they would consider superior. Me thinks we know the answer to that question
ffffuuuu.gif

I have a tweed boss jacket. It's fine for kicking around at bars. Clearly I paid way to much for it.

emakris

Reaction score
I own a few Hugo Boss items; the only reason I buy them (assuming I find them discounted) is the fit. In fact, I only just got back from a quick trip to the US where I picked up a Hugo Boss suit at Saks - 40% off and very good fit made it hard to resist. For some reason, Hugo Boss suits and shirts fit me quite well.

Quality-wise they are usually below what one should expect for the RRP but although this could very well be a factor for SFers not liking the brand, sometimes I think it's more to do with the ubiquity of it. Personally, the only reasons that put me off Hugo Boss is the recommended retail price and that they are mostly made in Turkey (the latter purely for political reasons).

My two pence as far as Hugo Boss goes is this: if I found something I liked, fits so well that I can ignore the "Made in Turkey" label and it is over 30% off RRP then I go for it. With that in mind, the only thing I wouldn't buy off them is shoes.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Please forgive me for not searching the whole thread. I'm out and just found a BOSS suit that fit me perfectly at a NM outlet. Final price would be $300 after all stacked discounts. Slim modern fit. I did the pinch test and I swear it felt like it was half canvased with the 3rd layer. Checked it in several places with a pinch and it had the stiching under the lapel. I thought BOSS were all fused? It's on hold for me. Any thoughts? Thanks!!

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by emakris
With that in mind, the only thing I wouldn't buy off them is shoes.

+100. Their shoes are crappy both in terms of fit and quality.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OT question

what is your definition of style vs fashionable?

just curious . . .

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JMRouse
Please forgive me for not searching the whole thread. I'm out and just found a BOSS suit that fit me perfectly at a NM outlet. Final price would be $300 after all stacked discounts. Slim modern fit. I did the pinch test and I swear it felt like it was half canvased with the 3rd layer. Checked it in several places with a pinch and it had the stiching under the lapel. I thought BOSS were all fused? It's on hold for me. Any thoughts? Thanks!!

If you really like it and can afford it, buy it.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by binge
If you really like it and can afford it, buy it.

I had to do a pre-sale for it, but did. I'm home now and really am just trying to figure out if it is really 1/2 canvased. I had always heard BOSS are fused, but I did the full pinch test on several areas of the chest and it had the floating "canvas." I'm not an expert on these things and tested it via the methods I read online. It really just amounts to me wanting to know what I am buying.
smile.gif

I did find some people indicating that BOSS has a black label they sell with Neiman Marcus that are half canvased, but even then people seemed to disagree.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads