• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why don't online retailers publish garment dimensions?

mr.loverman

Reaction score
Is there any reason why online retailers don't publish garment dimensions?

It would make online shopping a whole lot easier. People would be much less hesitant to buy. Calling a company to requested them is a serious hassle and I almost never buy without them.

Any thoughts?

Per

Reaction score
Too much work to measure every single garment?

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yoox is one of the worst offenders in this category. Especially, when it comes down to European-made garments, it always ends up being a crapshoot

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
Most people don't really care or know what to do with measurements. It's a pain ********** too and then people can try force refunds and what not if the measurements are off by a 1/4inch here or there. Just deal

They can always post, you know, a disclaimer...
teacha.gif

eevoh

Reaction score
thats why sites should create a live chat thingy like tobi.com
no need to call and its fast

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eevoh
thats why sites should create a live chat thingy like tobi.com no need to call and its fast
But they're not necessarily going to get out the ruler and measure the garments from their computer desk in India.

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In Japan it is the norm for web sites to post actual measurements for nearly all clothing. Even the lower end department stores do it! I have no idea how this came to be beyond the idea that people there tend to care far more about clothing than people in the US do.

If I have an item I'm thinking of buying from a US web store, I will often search for the same item on Japanese web sites just so I can get the measurements. This technique works surprisingly often-- at least 2/3 of the time I can find the information I was looking for.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another reason might be that people could get depressed from the measurements? "Oh no, my size 34 jeans are actually 37 inches in waist".

I think adding measurements would be more important for women's clothing, since vanity sizing is rampant there, even within the same brand.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads