• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why doesn't this tie go with this jacket?

Sortasartorial

Reaction score
The blue, wine, and lighter brown flecks in the tie on the right match the colors in the jacket, and the scales are different, yet, to my eye, it doesn't pair well. The solid knit tie on the left appears to pair better with the jacket. Am I incorrect regarding whether the first pairs well? Is there a word for the reason it doesn't pair well?

20220927_205551.jpg

20220927_205604.jpg

20220927_205612.jpg

Last edited:

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally I like the blue tie with that jacket. The color does pick up the blue in the gun club tweed and it’s got enough texture as well. The brown knit is a nice tie but “close/not close” in tone to the jacket, if that makes sense.

That said, if you don’t like it…

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My impression of the tie on the right is that there is no discernible pattern at a normal viewing distance. There isn’t a “scale” to the pattern and it comes off as looking muddy. I’d have a hard time pairing it with any jacket personally.

TheIronDandy

Reaction score
Have you tried wearing the tie and the jacket togeter, or are you basing your assessment only on putting them next to each other?

The jacket and tie have similar colors and structure, but not similar enough to "match". On their own, it might look like you tried to find a tie that matches your jacket, but didn't try very hard. I think that if worn as a complete outfit, the choice of shirt could help highlight that the jacket and tie are similar but still distinct, which could make it a more pleasing look.

But you may also simply prefer an aesthetic where the tie is more distinct from the jacket :)

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My impression is that the "brown" tie is in fact too red from a distance, but not red enough to offset w/ the jacket. My guess is it comes across as "different but not different enough brown, but different enough to be discordant."
Jacket looks "cold" while the tie is definitely "warm."

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brown tie gets lost in the jacket. The blue tie pops while subtly picking up the blue in the jacket. Also, you have a complex pattern on the jacket, and the straight blue tie contrasts nicely with it while still having some texture. Easy choice for me to go with the blue, which I think is a really great combo with that jacket.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads