• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why does SF hate working cuffs on RTW?

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I understand that having working cuffs on RTW jackets makes severely limits the ability to shorten the sleeves, but I find hard it to believe that that is reason enough for the amount of vitriol directed towards that particular feature.

I just picked up a RTW sport coat with working cuffs, and I love it. I have a feeling that part of the hatred is linked to the fact that this particular feature traditionally signifies bespoke.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The only reason to have working button holes on your coat in the first place is to signify that it's expensive. If you have it on RTW then it's kind of like the guy who puts a giant spoiler on the back of his Hyundai hoping that you'll think he needs it because it goes just as fast as the Porsche he couldn't afford to get.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
The only reason to have working button holes on your coat in the first place is to signify that it's expensive.

ffffuuuu.gif

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like working buttonholes. Doesnt matter if it is RTW as long as the sleeve length is not an issue.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only reason to have working button holes on your coat in the first place is to signify that it's expensive. If you have it on RTW then it's kind of like the guy who puts a giant spoiler on the back of his Hyundai hoping that you'll think he needs it because it goes just as fast as the Porsche he couldn't afford to get.

What's the difference between putting it on RTW vs having it on bespoke?

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
i think the biggest reason is that it makes it impossible to alter the sleeve length.

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DerekS
i think the biggest reason is that it makes it impossible to alter the sleeve length.

The *only* reason I'd say. I like them by the way.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only time it bothers me is on items it doesn't make a great deal of sense. Overcoats for example. But then I grew up with a snowballs in my pockets so my standards for coats are different.

Troilus

Reaction score
Isn't at least some of the vitriol aimed at paying extra for working cuffs on RTW rather than the notion of working cuffs on RTW?

I dropped off two suits for alterations this Sunday and would have clearly chosen working over non-working cuffs had the two options been identical in price. Instead, I chose the non-working because it was $30/suit cheaper. (I was so proud of myself for this cost-saving move that I treated myself to five new shirts).

If I had bought an Isaia suit, no way that baby wouldn't sport surgeon's cuffs. I might even have tailor throw in a red button on each sleeve, because flossin' is what it's about.

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DerekS

+1, too much hassel, getting a good fit, including sleeve length is king above all else. It's been a deal breaker on many RTW for me.

I actually like the idea of working button cuffs but would prefer RTW to have unfinished cuffs that would allow you to easily add working button cuffs after the fact if you desire them, just makes more sense to me.

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like the poster above, I would find it pretentious on a cheap suit. I am not saying this to get into semantics about what signifies a cheap jacket, but if you bought it at H&M I think that certainly qualifies. If it's a fully canvassed, very well made RTW suit though, I have nothing against it.

ljrcustom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That analogy doesn't really work, because both Kiton and Brioni sell RTW suits for significantly more than a lot of bespoke suits cost. I would not classify a $6,000 dollar RTW suit as cheap by any means.

-LR

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads