Why does one so rarely see shirt cuff in the media?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Sean Archer, Jun 5, 2010.

1. Sean Archer

Sean Archer Senior member

Tv shows, movies. Rarely happens these days. I don't get it.

2. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

Non dressers in da media!

3. theyare

theyare Senior member

The media, a lot of you out there probably haven't ever even heard the word...

4. intent

intent Senior member

Jacket cuffs tend to ride up when you sit down, revealing too much shirt cuff and makes one look like they've outgrown their jacket.

On the other hand, they tailor suit jackets for sitting down (so the collar doesn't ride up), so the real reason is probably ignorance.

5. westinghouse

westinghouse Senior member

A jacket should hit the base of the thumb. Period. Whether it shows cuff or not is irrelevant. It's the same as asking why you don't see "sock" or you don't see "nipple".

6. alliswell

alliswell Senior member

Jackets sleeves are cut long to allow for people with longer than average arms. People don't know this, so they think that a long sleeve is normal. They don't get them altered, and presto, you see too-long sleeves everywhere.

7. vincerich

vincerich Senior member

A jacket should hit the base of the thumb. Period. Whether it shows cuff or not is irrelevant. It's the same as asking why you don't see "sock" or you don't see "nipple".

Man, if I didn't already have a signature......

8. stumy

stumy Well-Known Member

This is incorrect and may mislead new readers.

9. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

This is incorrect and may mislead new readers.

+1[​IMG]

10. bowtielover

bowtielover Senior member

Don't blame them blame their stylist, I can't believe a grown man in the media cannot dress himself. At least they should be able to check themselfs once dressed for any minor adjustments.

11. enarchay

enarchay Senior member

Question. Can someone post a picture of how a cuff should look? I had my blazer tailored, and about two weeks later, I noticed that the one sleeve was slightly longer than the other and tended to cover the cuff. So I took it to another tailor to get the one sleeve fixed, but it still doesn't look right! I'm wondering if it's just my sleeves pulling up slightly from moving, or the blazer sitting on me weird. But in any case, sometimes the cuff resides into the jacket and becomes barely visible. This is the second time I've had the same blazer tailored, and now I'm wondering if I should return to the second tailor and complain. It shouldn't be this hard to take a sleeve up. What would you guys do?

12. emc894

emc894 Senior member

Question. Can someone post a picture of how a cuff should look?

I had my blazer tailored, and about two weeks later, I noticed that the one sleeve was slightly longer than the other and tended to cover the cuff. So I took it to another tailor to get the one sleeve fixed, but it still doesn't look right! I'm wondering if it's just my sleeves pulling up slightly from moving, or the blazer sitting on me weird. But in any case, sometimes the cuff resides into the jacket and becomes barely visible.

This is the second time I've had the same blazer tailored, and now I'm wondering if I should return to the second tailor and complain. It shouldn't be this hard to take a sleeve up. What would you guys do?

It's very likely that your arms are different lengths. It is pretty normal. I am 34" and 34.25". I personally would not pay the ~$20 to have it moved a quarter inch or so but up to you.

13. Lurch

Lurch Active Member

Question. Can someone post a picture of how a cuff should look?

I had my blazer tailored, and about two weeks later, I noticed that the one sleeve was slightly longer than the other and tended to cover the cuff. So I took it to another tailor to get the one sleeve fixed, but it still doesn't look right! I'm wondering if it's just my sleeves pulling up slightly from moving, or the blazer sitting on me weird. But in any case, sometimes the cuff resides into the jacket and becomes barely visible.

This is the second time I've had the same blazer tailored, and now I'm wondering if I should return to the second tailor and complain. It shouldn't be this hard to take a sleeve up. What would you guys do?

might also depend if you wear a big watch or something on the other side? It can alter the fall of one of your cuffs which might give them impression that it is your jacket

14. Larson McCord

Larson McCord Senior member

I wonder if many in the media wear suits that are on set for the day and don't have them tailored. I think ESPN does something like that but I could be wrong. It's obvious for instance that Chris Berman wears his own clothes.

But I think the post about OTR and not having the sleeves altered is correct. They just put in on and don't tailor the sleeves.

15. RSS

RSS Senior member

Jacket cuffs tend to ride up when you sit down, revealing too much shirt cuff and makes one look like they've outgrown their jacket.

On the other hand, they tailor suit jackets for sitting down (so the collar doesn't ride up), so the real reason is probably ignorance.

One day back in 1984 ... I passed Colin Harvey and Norman Halsey (both of Anderson & Sheppard) walking along New York's 5th Avenue. These men -- particularly Mr. Harvey -- showed shirt cuff ... and lots of it ... and it looked terrific.