Why does everyone in NYC wear dark or black coats

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by stillerfan07, Feb 14, 2011.

1. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan White Hispanic

Dude. You need to stop hating on Yankish provinces The southern rebel vibe is strong in you.

A South African is telling me this? There's a joke in there somewhere.

2. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Everyone wore black in Chicago as well during the winter, but this was in the late 90's, but I doubt anything has changed.

3. StephenHero

StephenHero Black Floridian

The best part of NYC is the way it tortures the 80% of people who move there to "make it big," whatever the hell that means. The people that enjoy it the most (excluding the filthy rich) are probably the people without unrealistic career goals who instead have a simple desire to live in an exciting and interesting place with no expectations beyond getting bills paid. The pathetic desperation of the rat race contestants is hilarious, especially the 20 something women that bum around Soho as if they are somebody.

4. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

The best part of NYC is the way it tortures the 80% of people who move there to "make it big," whatever the hell that means. The people that enjoy it the most (excluding the filthy rich) are probably the people without unrealistic career goals who instead have a simple desire to live in an exciting and interesting place with no expectations beyond getting bills paid. The pathetic desperation of the rat race contestants is hilarious, especially the 20 something women that bum around Soho as if they are somebody.

it works out for the guys though... like in the LA area there are so many underemployed "pretty people" that you can end up dating some hot piece of ass because of the sheer numbers.

i have fellow female co-workers who are hot (hot nurses, pharmacists, and doctors) but date total hispter loser trash because well thats all thats out there, because the available guys who are in good jobs are married, serial single lifers, or committed.

this will all go back to reasons people wear black coats though... because wearing a dark coat is a shield you blend in with everyone else, so when you're on the L train and some crazy mother fucker starts complaining about how Jews are the reason for katrina or egypt you're less likely to be the one the guy is yelling to.

5. Lane

Lane Senior member

They live in a cold, congested, dirty, urban hell. It's a giant pyramid scheme of people convincing each other it's the greatest city in the world. Wearing black comes naturally. It reinforces uniformity with the anonymous horde.

get err done

6. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan White Hispanic

git err done

FTFY. But I'm from Florida, not Ohio.

7. uhurit

uhurit Senior member

it works out for the guys though... like in the LA area there are so many underemployed "pretty people" that you can end up dating some hot piece of ass because of the sheer numbers.

i have fellow female co-workers who are hot (hot nurses, pharmacists, and doctors) but date total hispter loser trash because well thats all thats out there, because the available guys who are in good jobs are married, serial single lifers, or committed.

this will all go back to reasons people wear black coats though... because wearing a dark coat is a shield you blend in with everyone else, so when you're on the L train and some crazy mother fucker starts complaining about how Jews are the reason for katrina or egypt you're less likely to be the one the guy is yelling to.

QFT[​IMG]

8. Charley

Charley Senior member

Answer to original question:

Rat crap does not show up as much on black clothing.

9. Lane

Lane Senior member

lol so much envy

10. chas

chas Senior member

There are some bitter people on this thread

11. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I honestly don't understand the whole "New Yorker's wear black" thing. I think that is true of women. Women in my office rock black, but whenever I would wear it I would stick out like a sore thumb. I feel like most men who are wearing black overcoats are either not stylish, or they are "mall stylish" (H&M, Banana Republic, Zara shoppers).

I think if you like dark colors, or black in particular you can look 100 times better by just wearing charcoal over straight black.

12. horndog

horndog Senior member

+1

13. MrGimpy

MrGimpy Senior member

Lawrence, are you female? Was SF aware of this?

14. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

people like this annoy the crap out of me. Also annoying: frat boys from the midwest who move to Murray hill with their bros to "own the city" in their sweat pants before being spit out back to their birthland after 4-5 years. Same for college students who call themselves "new yorkers" after having lived in student housing during their 2 year masters degree.

15. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

Because 80% of the city is not from the city and thinks black is urbane.