• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why does eating an apple make me MORE hungry?

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never understood this, but it happens every time.

GlenCoe

Reaction score
apples helps you get rid of fat

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Never had that problem, I love apples when I'm dieting. Low calories, good amount of fiber, not very dense so you get a lot of volume for those calories. Sure it's sugar (which may make some people hungry) but unless you're going ketogenic it's not that big a problem.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I eased myself onto the WD/IF, I was eating an apple for lunch. Now, not so much.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
happens all the time. I googled it years ago and think it has something to do with the acidity. Apples are the worst, man. I usually follow that up with candy cause it hurts my belly.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe because it's a catabolic food? I don't know, does not happen to me unless I'm very hungry to begin with.

*#..

Reaction score
It shouldn't. Apples are high in dietary fiber.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Essentially the carbs in the apple cause a pancreatic insulin secretion which transport nutrients from the bloodstream into storage, thus making you feel more hungry. The fructose content can also have an effect on leptin signals, which regulate hunger.

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mm84321
The fructose content can also have an effect on leptin signals, which regulate hunger.

It's not really going to have that great of an effect in the short term on Leptin.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gradstudent78
It's not really going to have that great of an effect in the short term on Leptin.
While I agree chronic consumption will definitely pose more of an effect than acute ingestion of fructose, the fact that fructose lowers circulating levels of leptin certainly can be a contributing reason as to why he's feeling hungrier. I'm just hypothesizing here. http://jcem.endojournals.org/cgi/con...ract/89/6/2963
Because insulin and leptin, and possibly ghrelin, function as key signals to the central nervous system in the long-term regulation of energy balance, decreases of circulating insulin and leptin and increased ghrelin concentrations, as demonstrated in this study, could lead to increased caloric intake and ultimately contribute to weight gain and obesity during chronic consumption of diets high in fructose.

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mm84321
While I agree chronic consumption will definitely pose more of an effect than acute ingestion of fructose, the fact that fructose lowers circulating levels of leptin certainly can be a contributing reason as to why he's feeling hungrier. I'm just hypothesizing here.

http://jcem.endojournals.org/cgi/con...ract/89/6/2963

You don't really see sustained (or imo physiologically significant) differences until after the consumption of the second high fructose meal. Look up this paper "Twenty-four-hour endocrine and metabolic profiles following
consumption of high-fructose corn syrup-, sucrose-, fructose-, and
glucose-sweetened beverages with meals" by Stanhope et al. and you'll see the same thing.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You don't really see sustained (or imo physiologically significant) differences until after the consumption of the second high fructose meal. Look up this paper "Twenty-four-hour endocrine and metabolic profiles following consumption of high-fructose corn syrup-, sucrose-, fructose-, and glucose-sweetened beverages with meals" by Stanhope et al. and you'll see the same thing.
Interesting. Thanks for the reference.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You don't really see sustained (or physiologically significant) differences until after the consumption of the second meal.

Look up this paper "Twenty-four-hour endocrine and metabolic profiles following
consumption of high-fructose corn syrup-, sucrose-, fructose-, and
glucose-sweetened beverages with meals" by Stanhope et al. and you'll see the same thing.

we could go into it... really deep into it... but from my experience people eat apples as snacks...

simply put the apple just makes you hungry because your body is prepared to eat a full meal anyway.

so things like a mid day 4pm snack you're on the brink of being really hungry for dinner and a apple serves as a "appetizer": the small intestines gets the fiber (bulk of probably 4oz or 30gm), and the sugar kicks in the insulin release, and then thats it. basically you're just starting the engine (GI metabolism) and it naturally wants more when it only feels 30gms of bulk in it, but the GI has blood flowing to it like a normal meal.

from a physiology standpoint it would make sense to eat an apple then go for a walk/exercise. because then you'd pull that blood that was going to the GI tract back to the muscles and slow down the metabolic process theoretically making you less hungry.

this is a phenomena of people who work out in the morning (even heavily like running 5 miles) on an empty stomach (right after waking up). you start out hungry but then actually can finish the workout and not feel hungry afterwards. (current trends actually have coaches/trainers force feeding minutes after working out - to avoid drastic swings in appetite).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads