• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why does Chicago Love ugly plaid shorts, cargo and plaid cargos shorts?

WayTooPreppy

Reaction score
Ok just moved to Chicago and it is now "summer" and literally 80% of the shorts are comprised of really ugly plaid shorts, cargos or even worse the ugly plaid cargo shorts. really...?

Is this stylish elsewhere. It is so f***ing ugly. Looks like they are walking around in my grandmothers old frumpy cloth from her couch.

I just don't get it. I'm sure they think my madras or critter shorts are marsupialed but whatever. At least some of the stuff i think is ugly on the west coast is a unique style and I get it even if I wouldn't wear it. This phenomenon of ugly plaid shorts in chicago is just baffling... is this country wide?

Thanks,
totally confused.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Do the cargo shorts have those little strap thingies hanging down from the legs?

uwsmuseumguy

Reaction score
good god, i'm thinking the same thing. i moved from NY yesterday.

butkusrules

Reaction score
Originally Posted by WayTooPreppy
Ok just moved to Chicago and it is now "summer" and literally 80% of the shorts are comprised of really ugly plaid shorts, cargos or even worse the ugly plaid cargo shorts. really...?

Is this stylish elsewhere. It is so f***ing ugly. Looks like they are walking around in my grandmothers old frumpy cloth from her couch.

I just don't get it. I'm sure they think my madras or critter shorts are marsupialed but whatever. At least some of the stuff i think is ugly on the west coast is a unique style and I get it even if I wouldn't wear it. This phenomenon of ugly plaid shorts in chicago is just baffling... is this country wide?

Thanks,
totally confused.

Disagree. Plain shorts are just that- plain and boring. Live it up a little an mix in some patterns.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by uwsmuseumguy
good god, i'm thinking the same thing. i moved from NY yesterday.

Yeah- because when I'm walking in Manhattan or LA I NEVER see throngs of people wearing the same.
sarcasm.gif

WayTooPreppy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
Yeah- because when I'm walking in Manhattan or LA I NEVER see throngs of people wearing the same.
sarcasm.gif

Yeah I lived and worked in manhattan for the past three years and never noticed it until moving to chicago recently.

I know for a fact I never saw plaid cargo shorts. I can't think of anything uglier.

I never remember noticing it in LA last summer other than typical sufer style stuff. This is old grandma style. I can't figure it out.

Mild Mannered

Reaction score
It's just fashion puppetry at work. GQ, Details and other magazines featured plaid shorts a few months ago, so we're going to see more of it. I also don't care for the look and am sticking with plain.

uwsmuseumguy

Reaction score
have to modify my earlier comment a bit, i'm fairly close to North Ave beach which may account for the accumulation of board/loud print shorts. i don't have a beef with plaid shorts done tastefully(i'm in the minority that believes grown men can wear tasteful shorts) i.e. subtle glen checks or smaller plaids. what i've seen in the last few days would seem garish on spring break

WayTooPreppy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mild Mannered
It's just fashion puppetry at work. GQ, Details and other magazines featured plaid shorts a few months ago, so we're going to see more of it. I also don't care for the look and am sticking with plain.
Funny you say that. I was out with some guys at work and finally was like what is the deal with all the plaid shorts. Someone said they are selling them at Express and some other awful store I can't remember. Everyone looked around and was like yeah they are selling them here and here. So I guess you are right whatever they put in the stores people buy. I was just curious if it was a midwest thing or more likely I was just completely unaware that everyone everywhere now wears that crap. Next season's Madras are going to suck.

WayTooPreppy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by uwsmuseumguy
have to modify my earlier comment a bit, i'm fairly close to North Ave beach which may account for the accumulation of board/loud print shorts. i don't have a beef with plaid shorts done tastefully(i'm in the minority that believes grown men can wear tasteful shorts) i.e. subtle glen checks or smaller plaids. what i've seen in the last few days would seem garish on spring break
True I def own several plaid board shorts which of course I think are acceptable. It just seems like all the wear these cotton shorts where the pattern looks like an old couch someone is throwing away after the last semester of college. Maybe is just the mass number of plaid shorts and that 90% are uglier than megan fox's deformed web finger.

kuwisdelu

Reaction score
I live in Indiana and they're all over the place. I also think they're ugly. Of course, I don't even like normal shorts.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm from New York but lived in Chicago for 17 years in the 70s and 80s.
I'm not surprised with your impression. To generalize, Chicago is not
a center for elegance in mens attire. Yes, there are some fine shops,
but overall the average taste level is not very high. When I lived there,
I still did most of my shopping in New York, if only for the range of
selection.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads