• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why do you work out?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Grayland
I don't expect it to last forever but, in reality, I'm probably as fit as I ever was. I can't quite run as fast, but I'm much stronger and I do look better as I was rather thin when younger. I don't work out as I do to get better results; I do it to get results in as short a time frame as possible. I have 3 young kids. I don't have time for 1.5 hour workouts 5 days a week. I'm not looking for gains; I just want to keep what I have and what I'm doing is working pretty good right now. I see guys in their 30's who can't do this activity or that activity because they haven't kept their body moving over the years. I'm aging, but I'm aging actively.

I think that you are supposed to hit the peak of your ability to build strength at 40.

I'm also guessing that when you were in the army you weren't actually that strong as much as you had endourance, right? I could walk or run all day, and do 20 pullups without too much effort, but I can't imagine that I could squat or press very much - I look at pictures of myself and I was tiny.

raclotz

Reaction score
i do it cause i feel good about it and if i dont do it than the doesnt feel complete...

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
I think that you are supposed to hit the peak of your ability to build strength at 40.

I'm also guessing that when you were in the army you weren't actually that strong as much as you had endourance, right? I could walk or run all day, and do 20 pullups without too much effort, but I can't imagine that I could squat or press very much - I look at pictures of myself and I was tiny.

You're right. I also had more muscular endurance when I was in the army. I could do 80 push-ups in a row, but couldn't bench too much. I weighed 146 lbs. when I was in the military. I was still growing into my body.

JoelF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
This just makes me glad I'm not, nor have I been, a part of the "community." I find it as depressing, vacuous, and counterproductive as I ever did find it comforting. The pressure to "fit in" or conform there is often even more intense than in straight settings. It's a shame, really... so many boys spend their early lives trying to get away from feeling pressured, oppressed, or "different" only to be brought into a setting that is just as negative, only that the pressure is coming from people like them.

Sounds like SF.
laugh.gif

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
This just makes me glad I'm not, nor have I been, a part of the "community." I find it as depressing, vacuous, and counterproductive as I ever did find it comforting. The pressure to "fit in" or conform there is often even more intense than in straight settings. It's a shame, really... so many boys spend their early lives trying to get away from feeling pressured, oppressed, or "different" only to be brought into a setting that is just as negative, only that the pressure is coming from people like them.

It's amusing to watch.

wraith

Reaction score
Having been fat for 25 years of my life, being skinnier is still somewhat novel. My real dilemma is whether or not I will continue to be passionate about fitness once I've achieved my first set of goals. I'd like to say that I'll continue working out regardless, but laziness is a powerful force and the prospect of having a 350lb. squat does not currently inspire the same sort of feeling in me that the prospect of having <=10% bodyfat does.

Prince

Reaction score
I work out for 3 reasons:

1. To look good
2. To strenghten some body parts that are really weak spots. You can call this medical reasons.
3. To get stronger/better/fitter in my sport.

chucklehead

Reaction score
to be able to protect myself (krav maga)
smack.gif

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Because I firmly believe in the following:

" To keep the body in good health is a duty...otherwise we shall not be able to keep our mind strong and clear.”

- The Buddha

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads