• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why do you really dress nice?

VincentVogan

Reaction score
Why do you do it? I know most of us will say that it is just for them, but that's just like saying poker players play for fun, when everyone knows they play for the money. So why do you give so much attention to clothes and style? I personally do it because I want to make impress people and it also makes me feel good.

So why do you do it?

wesny

Reaction score
When I look good, I feel better. It makes it less of a chore to get up in the morning and it ends up making the day easier as I go about my schedule. Plus, there is something to be said for the treatment you receive from people when you are well dressed.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dress properly makes me concentrate on studying

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not that I dress nice, it's that very few others do.

Redbird13

Reaction score
When I look good, I feel better. It makes it less of a chore to get up in the morning and it ends up making the day easier as I go about my schedule. Plus, there is something to be said for the treatment you receive from people when you are well dressed.

^Exactly. I feel confident when I am dressed and groomed well, and when I'm not, I feel painfully self aware. And yes, a pleasant demeanor and dressing nicely really does make people treat you noticeably better than usual.

In addition, I've noticed that I get way more looks from the fairer sex while looking stylish (which I'd wager is at least partially due to the extra confidence, eh?)

bwp

Reaction score

It's not that I dress nice, it's that very few others do.

Awesome. Clothing is part of the persona one projects and should be given far more attention that it receives from most men.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why do you drive nice cars, eat good food, drink good wine, sleep with beautiful women, travel to beautiful places...

The list could go on forever. The point is that you appreciate the finer things in life and the details that accompany them. Secretly you also know that somehow you are better than those people that can't tell the difference.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Life looks good when you do.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A well fitting suit is chain mail. A tasteful tie is a shield. Stunning shoes are a sword. I dress well because when I do I am ready for anything. I dress well because I am confident to express my maturity and the station in life that I have achieved through my appearance. But most of all I dress well so that I won't look like this guy one day...

diglett

Reaction score
+1 So many trash dressers, it is easy to stand out when there are so few people that care. . .
It's actually sad what people consider dressing "well". As a college student, I hear girls fawning over frat boys in pleated khakis simply because they're not in their usual basketball shorts.

JapanAlex01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am an anal-retentive ****, so I like things to be as high-order as possible! Therefore, putting on a shirt, a tie and a suit, polishing shoes, etc, are all ways, to make me feel like I am doing something interesting! :p I, also, am an aesthetite, so I like the cut and lines all these items give me and the natural beauty, to which some of these items are created! :)

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads