• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why do you really dress nice?

Lord Mulberry

Reaction score
To look sharp, get my hands on other peoples' money and get hot chicks.

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...because it's the look that gives the impression that I want to make. It's the same reason for why I used to dress the way that I used to dress and for why people who don't "dress up" go that route. I have certain social and professional desires, and the way that I dress is a tool to help me satisfy them. That's what people mean when they say "it's just for me."

End Thread

Last edited:

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"I think I have this thing where I need everybody to think I'm the greatest -- the quote-unquote Fantastic Mr. Fox -- and if they aren't completely knocked-out, dazzled, and kind of intimidated by me, then I don't feel good about myself."

Last edited:

lwmarti

Reaction score
Women drool. It's almost embarassing sometimes. Maybe that's because I'm in California and they rarely see a man in a suit, but it's almost like seeing my teenaged sons getting flustered around girls, except I'm on the other side of it.

bigbergers

Reaction score
I would like to add that I dress nicely because it's part of my job to look nice and feel nice in the presence of clients and colleagues.

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1) Plain aesthetics. I wish everything in the world looked nice. If I don't play my part, who will? Imagine if everyone was well dressed, streets were clean, and buildings were beaux-arts (etc). It would be beautiful and enjoyable.

2) It affects your mindset positively. It brings self respect, in addition to confidence.

3) It has a positive impact on your interactions with other people, almost across the board. Some people ding you for it, but you only have to be careful about that at work.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When you look good, you feel good. When you feel good, you do good. When you do good, you are good.

So why worry about anything other than looking good?

Ilovelobbs

Reaction score
I like to dress nice because the most beautiful things in life are
not to be heard about,
nor read about,
but to be seen about.

VRaivio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've prepared for death on several occasions, and each time has changed me and my thoughts. I do not want to settle for less when I've only one life left. Mansions, Ferraris and private islands are out of my reach, but I can afford some of the finest clothes mankind has to offer. I take pleasure in the materials, cuts, details and the way light plays on their surface.

Life is too short for poor clothing.

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It just makes sense. It would be easy enough to walk around nude and attract women with the size of my "endowment" (no exaggeration), but since clothes are a requirement, I'd might as well "dress nice."

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've prepared for death on several occasions, and each time has changed me and my thoughts. I do not want to settle for less when I've only one life left. Mansions, Ferraris and private islands are out of my reach, but I can afford some of the finest clothes mankind has to offer. I take pleasure in the materials, cuts, details and the way light plays on their surface.

Life is too short for poor clothing.
I hate to break it to you, but if those things are out of your reach, then the "finest clothes mankind has to offer" probably are too. You just get clothes that are superb and exclusive by regular guy standards.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads