1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Why do you really dress nice?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by VincentVogan, Aug 17, 2012.

1. HunterJE

HunterJE Member

The reason that really got started was actually sheer compensation. I have a very young face -- at 28 I still almost always get carded buying alcohol, and if I leave the law school to walk around campus on a dress-down day I am easily mistaken for an undergrad. Everyone jokes about how you'll be glad you look so young when you're older, but being a young-looking 20-something can be a real pain in the ass when it came to trying to be taken seriously, something which became abundantly clear in my first real job out of college. I live in the pacific northwest, which takes informal office culture far beyond "always-casual-Friday" territory, and for the first few years I generally followed suit. However, at some point, fed up with being talked down to or mistaken for a high schooler on an after-school job, I decided started dressing it up just a bit -- nothing much, just putting on thrifted blazers and ties at least a couple times a week. I discovered that this added years to my perceived age and maturity, and from there it didn't take much to push me over the brink into full-on clothes love.

To be sure, as soon as I started down that road I picked up on the other things people here mention -- increased confidence, the joy of owning beautiful and lovingly-crafted things, etc. But it really started just to stop being mistaken for a high-schooler.

I wish that was enough. I've seen plenty of attorneys, including grown-ups who should know better, who dress up in some pretty damned awful suits -- nothing technically incorrect, but certainly not good. Having to go to court is enough to get someone to dress up, but not always enough to get them to dress nice :/

Last edited: Aug 18, 2012
  2. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

Because pimpin' ain't easy.

3. TheStormnMormon

TheStormnMormon Well-Known Member

^ Perfectly worded.

^ So, so true. It seems like fewer and fewer people care about how they look.

^ This. +1. Many lulz were had.

It's the way I grew up - I was taught to appreciate beautiful things, have an eye for fine craftsmanship, and to never worry about being the "best-dressed man in the room."

The way I dress is my signature, much like the cologne I put on in the morning, it reflects how I feel that day. It allows for my character to come across properly to those who I cannot directly interact with. The cleaner, sharper I feel, the better the presence I project.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
  4. imanewbie

imanewbie Senior member

I make the clothes and the clothes DONT make me. I once wore flip flops, shorts, and a straw hat to a business meeting while folks were wearing 5k suits. Everyone complimented me on my flops....I got a promotion that year...I made the clothes.

5. jerrybrowne

jerrybrowne Senior member

Interesting.

6. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

I dress to take photos for WAYWT. Then I undress and go to work.

2 people like this.
  7. Svenn

Svenn Senior member

pussā

1 person likes this.
  8. JapanAlex01

JapanAlex01 Senior member

Hahaha! :D Best non-srs comment! /thread! :D

9. Elegantly Wasted

Elegantly Wasted Senior member

Did you get the promotion at that same job? After or before showing up in flipflops?

10. Patek

Patek Senior member

They probably thought you were having a meltdown and were afraid that you would go full Breivik on them so they complemented the nice young man as they backed toward the exits and promised a promotion if you took the next six weeks off.

11. imanewbie

imanewbie Senior member

just kidding........no really I like to dress nice because it makes me feel good about myself. I believe if a a person 'tries' to dress nice it means they have a positive outlook on life vs someone who dress like they dont care.

Granted this philopshies holds true for 99% of society, but then you have that 1% who dress like crap and are still positive about life.

12. JohnnyMarr

JohnnyMarr Well-Known Member

Ha, I was going to suggest Patrick Bateman!

13. JohnnyMarr

JohnnyMarr Well-Known Member

But for me, it's to make myself feel good; I find myself far more confident (not that I suffer from a lack of confidence usually) and this affects my life positively. It gives me far more confidence in talking to women, getting Uni work done etc etc. Plus, life's too short to walk round looking like so many bored people, wearing their cheap shirts; cheap suits; cheap, scuffed and uncared for shoes, going to their boring jobs. It's a great feeling to leave your house thinking 'yeah, I look good today'.

14. celery

celery Senior member

I would say this has to do with your (our) perception of what "dressing nice" is.

You may be surprised, but you shouldn't be; most of those guys wearing tent shirts and baggy dockers do think that they're dressed well. Ignorance is bliss.

15. diglett

diglett Senior member

This is my reasoning, almost to the letter. I'm in college, and I love walking around campus looking good and knowing that everyone else thinks I look good. Just like you, it brightens up all of my days, and it's an extra card in my hand when talking to fellow students (especially female ones).

16. Slippybee

Slippybee Senior member

I work for myself in the City of London in the investment banking and insurance sectors. Ive worked in the industry all my working life.

There's an expectation ( albeit sadly diminishing) that people will dress to a particular standard. The loosening of these standards actually makes it easier for somebody relatively spic and span to stand out in a positive way.

Once you accept you'll be suited and booted every day this attention to what you wear can either be seen as a chore or something to be enjoyed and transferred to casual and weekend wear. As you start to make a little money you start to have the option to acquire nice things. Clothes are one of those things I choose to fritter my scratch away on.

17. TemiCastro

TemiCastro Active Member

I like beautiful things, l'amour du bel objet..

On a deeper level, a man, styled out, is in control, in dominion.. He is winning.. going somewhere..people see it ...

18. radicaldog

radicaldog Senior member

All of them? Really?

19. MarkThomas

MarkThomas Senior member

One of the reasons I dress nice is because it shows self-respect and helps with confidence. But that's the least of it for me. The main reason I think is because it shows respect for those around me, first and foremost: my wife. When I dress a bit snappier around her it shows her that I care enough to put in effort for her. Same thing goes for others I care about.

For example: My grandmother turned 90 this past December. I could have showed up to her birthday party wearing an affliction t-shirt, cargo shorts and flip flops, but instead, because my dear old grandma means a lot to me, I dressed up.

Same reason I at least wear a jacket to church every sunday. Same reason I wear a suit to a wedding or funeral.

20. VincentVogan

VincentVogan Well-Known Member

Obviously not all of them, but the incredible vast majority. And out of those who say they play for fun, I say the majority of them are as well doing it for the money. If they didn't want to play for the money, why not play with free chips instead, and not risk losing hundreds and sometimes thousands of dollars?