Why do you really dress nice?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by VincentVogan, Aug 17, 2012.

1. VincentVogan

VincentVogan Well-Known Member

What's wrong with this guy?

2. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

I do it for the lulz. And to impress my forum buddies.

3. phxlawstudent

phxlawstudent Senior member

Because I have to go to court. I wear a polo & wool slacks in the summer when meeting with clients. I'll upgrade to LS BD's when it gets cold.

4. Superfluous

Superfluous Senior member

to let everyone know that I'm better than them.

5. scurvyfreedman

scurvyfreedman Senior member

6. HunterJE

HunterJE Member

The reason that really got started was actually sheer compensation. I have a very young face -- at 28 I still almost always get carded buying alcohol, and if I leave the law school to walk around campus on a dress-down day I am easily mistaken for an undergrad. Everyone jokes about how you'll be glad you look so young when you're older, but being a young-looking 20-something can be a real pain in the ass when it came to trying to be taken seriously, something which became abundantly clear in my first real job out of college. I live in the pacific northwest, which takes informal office culture far beyond "always-casual-Friday" territory, and for the first few years I generally followed suit. However, at some point, fed up with being talked down to or mistaken for a high schooler on an after-school job, I decided started dressing it up just a bit -- nothing much, just putting on thrifted blazers and ties at least a couple times a week. I discovered that this added years to my perceived age and maturity, and from there it didn't take much to push me over the brink into full-on clothes love.

To be sure, as soon as I started down that road I picked up on the other things people here mention -- increased confidence, the joy of owning beautiful and lovingly-crafted things, etc. But it really started just to stop being mistaken for a high-schooler.

I wish that was enough. I've seen plenty of attorneys, including grown-ups who should know better, who dress up in some pretty damned awful suits -- nothing technically incorrect, but certainly not good. Having to go to court is enough to get someone to dress up, but not always enough to get them to dress nice :/

Last edited: Aug 18, 2012

7. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

Because pimpin' ain't easy.

8. TheStormnMormon

TheStormnMormon Well-Known Member

^ Perfectly worded.

^ So, so true. It seems like fewer and fewer people care about how they look.

^ This. +1. Many lulz were had.

It's the way I grew up - I was taught to appreciate beautiful things, have an eye for fine craftsmanship, and to never worry about being the "best-dressed man in the room."

The way I dress is my signature, much like the cologne I put on in the morning, it reflects how I feel that day. It allows for my character to come across properly to those who I cannot directly interact with. The cleaner, sharper I feel, the better the presence I project.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2012

9. imanewbie

imanewbie Senior member

I make the clothes and the clothes DONT make me. I once wore flip flops, shorts, and a straw hat to a business meeting while folks were wearing 5k suits. Everyone complimented me on my flops....I got a promotion that year...I made the clothes.

10. jerrybrowne

jerrybrowne Senior member

Interesting.

11. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Boxercise Toughguy

I dress to take photos for WAYWT. Then I undress and go to work.

12. Svenn

Svenn Senior member

13. JapanAlex01

JapanAlex01 Senior member

Hahaha! :D Best non-srs comment! /thread! :D

14. Elegantly Wasted

Elegantly Wasted Senior member

Did you get the promotion at that same job? After or before showing up in flipflops?

15. Patek

Patek Senior member

They probably thought you were having a meltdown and were afraid that you would go full Breivik on them so they complemented the nice young man as they backed toward the exits and promised a promotion if you took the next six weeks off.