• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why do YOU need money?

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Let's talk money.

All of us work because of money. Some of us enjoy our jobs more than others, but in the end, we get up in the morning for the money. In other words, if your job stopped paying you completely, I'm confident in asserting that there is a high probability you would stop going to work or take issue in another way.

For some people, the quest for more money is an all-consuming one. In instances, it is purely borne of greed. In other instances, it is an addiction. But in most cases, it is because they are regular, reasonable people who understand they need a certain amount of money to have the things they want.

I admit I post this out of selfishness. I am trying to come up with a list of reasons people really work for their money, or more accurately, the reasons people use to rationalize their unending pursuit of green. I want to see how my reasons stack up, and if I've foolishly overlooked something important.

Try and split up your answers into two categories:

1) Tangible (Nice house, Private school education for kids, nice clothes, ability to own multiple properties, etc.)
2) Intangible (respect that a high salary commands from my fellow man, keeping up with the Joneses and being able to maintain the lifestyle my friends have, so that my wife doesn't leave me, etc.)

Thanks.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Tangible: Booze
Intangible: Chicks

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tangible: Clothes, food, furniture, condo fees
Intangible: So I can laugh at my friends for being poor. I am the Joneses.

Da Luis Vuitton Don

Reaction score
i fall into both categories i suppose.

on one hand i work for normal reasons like being able to support ones self and provide for family.on the other hand i dont just work, i secretly plan to dominate in my field for the respect that comes along with earning more then the average person.ive been in many of aurguements that i have ended by saying something like"well at least someone has invested in my mind" or thank god you dont get paid to think, i do and very well paid at that"...before saying something like that i put on my most smug/pretentious face.

Money is bragging rights, it means i am doing well at life or at very least my time is more valuable to reputable people then yours...money is power.i use my money to control my environment.

Superfluous Man

Reaction score
Tangible: Going out (drinks, vacation, weed, etc.), clothes, basic living necessities (food, housing, etc)
Intangible: None? I mean I'm a really selfish guy and do things purely for my own reasons. I don't care about keeping up with the Joneses, prestige of salary, etc. I guess financial security but the probability of me attaining it is so low that I'm not concerned.

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tangible: To pay for experiences. Traveling and even hobbies at home tend to require some initial investment in equipment, plane tickets, hotels, etc. Also food, clothes, a place to live.

Intangible: The ability to, one day, not have to work anymore. To have enough money in the bank to pay for the above, without having to work. Related to that would be security and piece-of-mind knowing that should an emergency occur or an unexpected opportunity present itself, you'll have the funds to sustain yourself.

Great example is my ex's dad. Her uncle got sick one day, so the next he said "You and your sister use my credit card to buy some plane tickets and rent a car, go up and see your uncle." I'm a minimalist when it comes to owning things, but the ability to cover unexpected expenses without sweating seems like a comforting ability.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tangible: Scotch, supporting young chefs, putting gas in my car
Intangible: Life can be very, very stressful, and increasing money allows you to remove certain stresses from your life -- this, I find, is really the most important thing.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
Tangible: Scotch, supporting young chefs, putting gas in my car
Intangible: Life can be very, very stressful, and increasing money allows you to remove certain stresses from your life -- this, I find, is really the most important thing.

The theoretical counterpoint to this is that not working for as many hours in as stressful a setting also reduces stress.

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
whores, liquor, swords and residences...
t

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
tangible: good food, EtOH, cigars, video games, clothes, cars. in general, having a better than comfortable life. I want the "good life" or rather, I want to maintain the good life as my parents set me up to do.

intangible: safety net (if I end up losing my job/losing control of my hands/being unable to work, I have some sort of way to live), living well means less stress on me.

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Krish the Fish
tangible: good food, EtOH, cigars, video games, clothes, cars. in general, having a better than comfortable life. I want the "good life" or rather, I want to maintain the good life as my parents set me up to do.

intangible: safety net (if I end up losing my job/losing control of my hands/being unable to work, I have some sort of way to live), living well means less stress on me.

Ditto.

Anyone who wants money because of status or the way it makes them feel in relation to their "friends" is a goddamned loser with nothing else going for them in life.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lord-Barrington
Anyone who wants money because of status or the way it makes them feel in relation to their "friends" is a goddamned loser with nothing else going for them in life.

Keepin' it classy. Nice.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ter1413
Tangible: Booze
Intangible: Chicks

Agreed, except that I consider chicks a tangible good.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lord-Barrington
Ditto.

+1

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics