• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

why do you guys hate designs?

blackplatano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I noticed that a lot of people on the forum prefer plain, dry, design-less jeans.
Some have even gone as far as removing the back pocket logo on nudies.

*honest question*

Why would you want 100 pairs of identical looking dry-selvaged jeans?

the first reason that comes to mind, is that it's a backlash against the back pocket trend of today.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They aren't identical-looking. Fits, denim, colour, and even pockets are all distinguishable. The Rag & Bone enlargened, pointed pocket is very differnt from SDA pockets in many ways, which is in turn different from plain APCs. Also, look isn't the only factor. The way different denim feels varies. Weight is a big factor here. Consider that many men who appreciate clothing will have navy and mid-gray solid suits in 9 oz and 13 oz, perhaps in different textures and (slightly) shades, but may seem "identical-looking". They aren't.

titleofauser

Reaction score
I think it keeps a much cleaner look to the jeans, which is how I preffer them. The lack of a back pocket design makes the jeans look good no matter the situation, in my opinion.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Nudie stitching is garish, and garish stitching is (I think) feminine. I cut the stitching off of mine.

Other than that, it's a minimalism thing. A lack of distracting designs puts the focus on cut, fit and texture.

blackplatano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whoopee
They aren't identical-looking. Fits, denim, colour, and even pockets are all distinguishable. The Rag & Bone enlargened, pointed pocket is very differnt from SDA pockets in many ways, which is in turn different from plain APCs. Also, look isn't the only factor. The way different denim feels varies. Weight is a big factor here. Consider that many men who appreciate clothing will have navy and mid-gray solid suits in 9 oz and 13 oz, perhaps in different textures and (slightly) shades, but may seem "identical-looking". They aren't.

They might not be identical to you, but to 99% of the population, including that hot chick at the party, they are. If she can't tell what's the point? Spending $300 for a pair of jeans for any other reason then to get laid seems wrong. (J/K)

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is to differentiate from the rest of the consumer masses. Anyways my manliness and verbal skills is what attracts the chicks, not my clothes.

tangerine

Reaction score
While I have been complimented on my clothes by women, rarely has any one of them complimented my choice of brands. It's more about the fit and the overall look.

xcoldricex

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackplatano
They might not be identical to you, but to 99% of the population, including that hot chick at the party, they are. If she can't tell what's the point? Spending $300 for a pair of jeans for any other reason then to get laid seems wrong. (J/K)
teacha.gif
you have a lot to learn young grasshopper

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by xcoldricex
teacha.gif
you have a lot to learn young grasshopper

And MTV doesn't count.

I took the back pocket stitchings from both pairs of Nudie I have. It's more about minimalism than anything. I don't want to have logos that will take away the attention from the clothes themselves. I especially hate when people are more fascinated with the brand than with the actual clothing design.

Wade M

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dusty
Other than that, it's a minimalism thing. A lack of distracting designs puts the focus on cut, fit and texture.

W3rd. The less distractions in all areas of life, allows what is there to have hightened intensity/greater appreciation.

--djway

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Personally I don't mind some of the back pocket designs, but others are tired, and not particularly inspired. I don't mind the Nudie design or some of the others, but I dislike the Loomstate white square.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm with Drizzt.

I don't mind the Nudie back design, and I always thought that the Seven scribble was a stroke of genius, even though it is ubiquitous now - there is a difference between good and bad back pocket designs. But as someone said before, plain is not indistinguishable. 5EP has a design that appears as wear sets in. APC has higher, smaller, back pockets, while Rag & Bone jeans have lower, curved, back pockets that come to a sharp point. Crate has long, slim back pockets, and so on.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
another one for not minding back pocket designs. I like the nudie wave on back pockets quite a bit, but I don't like Imperial's "here's ******" wave at all. So it's a case by case basis. And I agree with LAG that 7's scribble looks really good, even if it's become the denim symbol for "tool"

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't hate designs, as long as the design doesn't suck. I just think that branding should be a contributing factory to anything you buy. That's all designs are anyway, branding... For guys at least :p Sometimes the designs on women's jeans help make the ass look nicer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads