• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Why do you find custom jackets for sale?

mfadam

Reaction score
I've seen custom suits and jackets at the Barney's sale and at Saks occasionally on deep discount; often with the customer's name on the tag. Just curious why these end up on sale and not with the person? It seems like the stores have little chance of recouping the money if the customer refuses it since the piece will be non-standard sizing. Just curious if anyone knows how/why this occurs...

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Customer orders suit, puts down deposit. Suit comes in, customer never shows up or does not like the finished product.

Sums it up exactly.

Manton

RINO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Death, weight gain, loss of interest, changing tastes, destitution.

mfadam

Reaction score
What percent do stores require as a deposit? Unless the item is majorly screwed up it seems like a bad deal for the store to have to eat the difference between deposit and cost. I guess maybe that's just part of the business...

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.