1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Why do you exercise?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by lee_44106, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

Anyway, my main point is that being chiseled is mainly a combination between diet and cardio combined with (some) weight training and that those who put more effort into their diet needn't do as much cardio and vice versa to get ripped.

Yes, I agree. Obviously the more one trains, the more one can 'get away' with, concerning diet. For the average non-athlete though, this is a slippery slope. 2-4 hrs/day of specific training (weights, LISS, what have you) is pretty much reserved for those who are competitive athletes.

2. Crat

Crat Senior member

Yes that would be too time consuming for most people.
    On the other side I do believe if you actively spend only 4 hrs (not because of the book) on sport a week (eg. weights 2x1h, hiit 2x 30 min and two 30 min runs) and you REALLY focus on your diet you can also get quite ripped.
    Pounds of pasta will be out of the question in that case.

3. tombrokaw

tombrokaw Well-Known Member

Society told me to look a certain way and so I do.

If it told me to look fat I would start eating donuts immediately.

4. Crat

Crat Senior member

Society told me to look a certain way and so I do.

If it told me to look fat I would start eating donuts immediately.

So I am right in assuming you are ripped because at the moment that is how society says we should look?

5. tombrokaw

tombrokaw Well-Known Member

So I am right in assuming you are ripped because at the moment that is how society says we should look?
    Yes. I desire this appearance because it is socially acceptable and confers many advantages, most of which have been listed in this thread. I have no illusions that if society were turned on its head I would swim against the tide and still want to look ripped, etc. It is not at all convenient to keep a rigid diet and ensure that all the necessary muscle groups receive proper attention.

6. m.gway

m.gway Well-Known Member

Apparently this question has not been asked.

So why do you spent time/money/wake up early in the morning to do all that?

I was tired of being mediocre.

7. lafever

lafever New Member

Exercise is a key component of health. In order to be healthy, we have to exercise regularly. Sure, it can be difficult to take the time out of your busy schedule to engage in physical activity but exercise helps your mind, emotions and your body in so many ways. Yes, exercise can help you to lose weight and tone muscle. It will make you look better, but it also releases endorphins and other feel-good chemicals that stabilize and even improve mood.

8. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

I am tired of being skinny.

9. bourque

bourque New Member

It's better to be skinny than to be a FAT cos it's easy to gain weight than to loose weight.

10. alexanduh

alexanduh Senior member

we excercise because if you fat you ugly no doubt.

11. willpower

willpower Senior member

I definitely get checked out more by the ladies now that I have a semblance of shoulders and biceps.

God bless you, P90X and Scooby!

12. cretaceous_cretin

cretaceous_cretin Senior member

for those who say VANITY (to look good),

do you have nice clothing to complement that nice body up?

Yes. Oxxford, Isaia, Canali, Hilditch & Key, Turnbull & Asser, and AE shoes (hard to find EEE in some of the top quality Italians).

13. dmass1

dmass1 Senior member

I work out mainly for vanity and health reasons, but I have to admit that its a great spot for people-watching.

There are always a few smokeshows to stare at and a few meatheads to laugh at in my local gym...

14. Gingahbman

Gingahbman Senior member

So the demons leave me alone.

15. Stuckbetweenstations

Stuckbetweenstations Member

Apart from my day job, I'm a craft beer tasting host on the side. Obviously, this means drinking a lot of beer. I run in the mornings mainly so that I don't get really fat (I have a gut, but it's on its way down -- lost 10 pounds in the past 3 months.)

16. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

Apart from my day job, I'm a craft beer tasting host on the side. Obviously, this means drinking a lot of beer. I run in the mornings mainly so that I don't get really fat (I have a gut, but it's on its way down -- lost 10 pounds in the past 3 months.)

nice. hope you keep at it.

17. Rangoon

Rangoon Well-Known Member

I definitely get checked out more by the ladies now that I have a semblance of shoulders and biceps.

God bless you, P90X and Scooby!

Scoobs is a legend! love his videos.

I am tired of being skinny.

That's the same reason I train in the gym too. After years of training and getting no results in putting on muscle mass I re-evaluated my training about a year ago and have put on about three quarters of a stone in that time ( put on both muscle and inevitable fat that is ).

The only way to put on big ammounts of weight/muscle is to train hard twice a week in the big compound movements, you MUST squat and deadlift. A middle day should be for minor exercises such as L-fly's for shoulder care,crunch work,lateral raises,bicep work etc. Too train more then this will kill most hardgainer's gains. Secondly I upped my calorific and protien intake. I eat 6 or 7 times a day so that my body never consumes itself so to speak. I was painfully skinny and lanky,I hated the summer as I could not wear sweaters etc to hide my puny frame but now I get positive comments from people about my physique. It's a hard slog for us skinny guys but the results can be fantastic due to our better definition then many others.

Someone posted above that it's easier for skinny guys to build up then for overweight people to lose weight but this is a myth,they both are inherently difficult to achieve and take great effort and dedication.

18. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

It's better to be skinny than to be a FAT cos it's easy to gain weight than to loose weight.

Fail.

19. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

so that I can beat people up

20. oaw01

oaw01 Senior member