• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why do you exercise?

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But yeah number one is for the vanity/ladiez.

imschatz

Reaction score
I bought a few too many 38R suits, before realizing I'm a 36R. So I'm doing some basic stuff, seeing if I can fill out my 38R's.

epb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by munchausen
I refuse to believe that is your primary concern.

That's certainly your right as a citizen, but it's always a bad idea to assume that everyone's as shallow as you.

AlbertCamus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by epb
That's certainly your right as a citizen, but it's always a bad idea to assume that everyone's as shallow as you.
It's not shallow to have vanity be your #1 goal for exercising, and it is incredibly safe to assume that it is the most powerful motivating factor in compelling otherwise sedentary people to act. That said, some people take weightlifting as a sport and getting huge/lifting huge is an ends rather than a means. Personally, in order of importance: - Vanity: it also increases self-esteem and confidence which are all kind of tied together - I enjoy it. Though it is impossible to estimate how much I have conflated actually enjoying the process and feeling satisfied that I am accomplishing something. - It gives me a literal high. I have noticed myself looking forward to workouts and occasionally trying to fit more in, I believe I am moderately addicted to it at this point. - It combats depression - Strength - I can't quite understand why someone would actually care a great deal about their nominal strength, outside of competitive lifting and receiving validation from others (which is just vanity). But I don't mind it. I would say for health but I believe that weight-training beyond moderate weight offers no health benefits yet many potential risks.

juliank

Reaction score
eh, it's not that hard to believe that many people work out and vanity is not at the very top of the hierarchy.

it would be easier to peg vanity as the very top reason for most plastic surgeries, breast enhancements etc. but exercise has way too many non-physical effects that many people derive satisfaction from.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For most of my life, purely for athletic competition and mental strength. Which obviously has some correlation w/ women. Vanity is much more in the conversation now but given my past year of training style I am much softer, but much stronger. So something in me is loving the added strength a bit more than the mirror.

jpb

Reaction score
I do gymnastics. I do trampolining and tumbling because it's fun, great conditioning, improves coordination and agility and I can do it with my kids. I do rings for vanity and a sense of achievement.

At my age (late 30s), many of my friends and colleagues already have physical difficulties playing with their kids, just simple things like kicking a ball around, getting down on the floor and up again.

The instructor for my Saturday morning father-son trampolining class I go to with my two boys is a 57 year old grandfather and was a circus performer for 26 years. If you see him doing a routine from across the gym you could easily mistake him for a 20 year old.

SladeDT

Reaction score
because it's harder to be vain if you're a fat bastard.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SladeDT

laugh.gif
nice way of looking at it.

cretaceous_cretin

Reaction score

Biscotti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honestly because I'm a damn junkie, and the feeling afterward is as good as drugs.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SladeDT

A big reason why people wear custom stuff, to hide flaws.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads