• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why do you buy used clothing?

Carey

Reaction score
True vintage coutre aside, why does anyone purchase used clothing. Forum members share a pursuit of style and fashion. Most love a bargain, but I have to draw the line at used clothing.

If my own father had a great overcoat, maybe I would have it altered to fit me. But I just can't see trying on someone else's used trousers or shoes. I don't care how often a garment has been cleaned, someone elses "boys" have been in there for who knows how many wearings. If the previous owner was particularly fastidious, those pants may never have been cleaned before you got them.

Yadda, yadda "Bespoke" this, or hand-crafted that. Really how many men out there are so weatlhy that they buy a very expensive garment, wear it twice and send it on to Goodwill or the Salvation Army or Joe's Consignment shop?

I guess I am just too picky.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Asking this is like asking why people buy used cars. Reasons range from financial to buying something no longer made.

Also, keep in mind that even brand spanking new clothing at the highest end stores has been tried on various times by potential customers (sometimes bought, worn and returned). Are there any guarantees that a pair of trousers you are buying weren't tried on commando style by someone else?

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Asking this is like asking why people buy used cars. Reasons range from financial to buying something no longer made.

Also, keep in mind that even brand spanking new clothing at the highest end stores has been tried on various times by potential customers (sometimes bought, worn and returned). Are there any guarantees that a pair of trousers you are buying weren't tried on commando style buy someone else?

Note to self: always wear underwear.

I buy used stuff because I don't always have money for nice things. if I can get them lightly used they will be less than I would pay for something of less quality that costs more. Right now I am wearing some Alan McAfee that I bought used on Ebay for $12. They look brand new.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I never have.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Because some people do not have the means to buy whatever clothes they want. I would rather have a slightly worn pair of Allen Edmonds than a new pair of J&Ms. A used Canali as opposed to a new Jos. A. Banks. RIght now I am wearing a used Zegna suit that looks significantly better than my brand new Daniel Cremiuex suit that cost nearly twice as much. Honestly, if you had to choose between a brand new Ford Taurus or a used Lexus, both the same price, which would you choose?

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought used stuff when I was broke because I had champagne tastes in clothing on a beer budget. Now that I'm under different circumstances, I don't buy used clothing anymore. I have to admit though, sometimes you would get a hell of a piece that doesn't look like it was used too often for a pretty good price. Now, though, I prefer to go new for most of the reasons you mentioned.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Because I can't afford to buy new versions of the brands I like
smile.gif

Carey

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Asking this is like asking why people buy used cars. Reasons range from financial to buying something no longer made. Also, keep in mind that even brand spanking new clothing at the highest end stores has been tried on various times by potential customers (sometimes bought, worn and returned). Are there any guarantees that a pair of trousers you are buying weren't tried on commando style by someone else?
I am not trying to stir the pot here. I understand this is a sensitive issue. Some choices are driven by financial constraints, that is understandable. I cannot go purchase a new suit, or a pair of $300 trousers, or a pair of $400 + shoes anytime I want them. Instead I wait until I can afford these new things. I can also usually tell when a garment has been worn and returned to a store. Most often it lacks the original sales tag, or the "joker ticket". One should reasonably expect an RTW garment to be tried on by others. Hopefully the previous customer did not work-up a full ball-sweat trying on some clothes. Clothes are not cars, nor are they like antique furniture. I drive a used car, as it is a depreciating asset. I have clothes that have outlasted many cars I have had. The clothes may cost the same as a car payment, or two, or three.

summej2

Reaction score
I find that even though I could buy the items I own new, I just can't justify it. I'd rather put the money to another use.

There is also something of an adventure in finding a quality vintage piece.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
All the reasoning I need is in Vintage Gent's posts of vintage items.

That said, I don't buy used socks, pants, or shirts. Jackets are different, in my opinion, and a lot of "used" shoes sold on ebay are almost brand new. It's pretty easy to tell with shoes how much they've been worn.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Carey
I am not trying to stir the pot here. I understand this is a sensitive issue.

Some choices are driven by financial constraints, that is understandable. I cannot go purchase a new suit, or a pair of $300 trousers, or a pair of $400 + shoes anytime I want them. Instead I wait until I can afford these new things.

I can also usually tell when a garment has been worn and returned to a store. Most often it lacks the original sales tag, or the "joker ticket". One should reasonably expect an RTW garment to be tried on by others. Hopefully the previous customer did not work-up a full ball-sweat trying on some clothes.

Clothes are not cars, nor are they like antique furniture. I drive a used car, as it is a depreciating asset. I have clothes that have outlasted many cars I have had. The clothes may cost the same as a car payment, or two, or three.

Your argument is all over the place. You don't wear used clothing because of it's potential to have been ball sweat drenched, yet you drive a used car in which people could have done the deed and deposited DNA in your coffee cup holder. Clothing, for the most part, also depreciates. I have no dog as I am neither a used clothing dealer nor am I a used clothing consumer ( I have purchased two used garments in the last few years). I just realize that not everyone can afford a lot of the brands that are discussed here. I also realize that there is a certain rush to thrifting, as I experienced it in the vintage watch market. Lastly, I would not look down nor talk down to those on a public forum who do it by stating "I guess I am too picky" as if those that purchase used clothing have lower standards than me.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been buying used clothing since high school.

I draw the line at socks and underclothes. I'll buy anything else.

Used clothes do not threaten my health. Clothes can be cleaned.

Revulsion at putting my 'boys' where some elses 'boys' once were, is, to me, a pointless luxury. There are other pointless luxuries I prefer far more than doggedly buying every pair of pants at retail.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why? I'm not squeamish; I get the clothes cleaned right away; and I like to save money where I can:

I grew up wearing as many hand-me-downs as new clothes. Perhaps because of this, I'm not squeamish at all about such things. Also, used clothes I get from EBay go straight to the wash or the cleaners -- though they nearly always arrive clean (99.9% of the time), I'm more concerned about moths and their offspring. Thus, they're quite clean and sanitized when I wear them. Finally, I like to save money where I can. Today, I'm wearing two items of "used" clothing that I bought on EBay -- a Borrelli shirt (I paid @$55, whereas retail is $350 or so) and a herringbone 85/15% wool/cashmere D'Avenza blazer (hard to call it used as the pockets were still sewn shut when it arrived in this past Friday's mail -- I paid $158, whereas retail is well over $1000).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads