• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why do these two outfits look so boxy? (pictures)

StyledbyShawn

Reaction score
l

Is this a matter of body type,jacket cut, camera angle etc...

Also,please guess my height from these pictures.

All other comments are welcome as well. Thank You

minervau

Reaction score
Shoulders may be too large also, but the main problem is that the jacket is too short. As for height, I dunno, 5'8"-5'10"?

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These are both FAR too short which is a substantial cause of the problem.

They cannot be altered so burning would seem to be the only recourse.

gambit50

Reaction score
Because the jackets are grossly short and your hips vs shoulder proportions are not those thought of in terms of a golden ratio.
Plus it seems your posture accentuates this latter fact.
I don't know if they are worth anything for you to sell vs GBR's solution of fire to thread but please do not wear them.

MisterFu

Reaction score
[/URL]l

Is this a matter of body type,jacket cut, camera angle etc...

Also,please guess my height from these pictures.

All other comments are welcome as well. Thank You
This slim-fit short jacket fad needs to end right now.

The last umpteen "why doesn't my new <Indochina, TAT, spandex pre-shrunk, etc.> suit look right?" threads seem to have at least one key criticism in common: your jacket is too damn short. When the jacket is too short it throws off everything else (balance, button stance, waist suppression, etc.). It doesn't look particularly good on waifish hipsters (despite what they may think) and most certainly looks terrible on those with less than perfect body types.

The jacket should at least meet the top of the inseam of your pants. See examples below:

gambit50

Reaction score
I do not like loooooooong jackets but too short is also awful. I find there is a range of 'proper' on each individual but it is not that large.

What makes it all worse, again, is people who are built like pears, hippos, whatever attempting the short/slim outfit.

Know thy self.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It doesn't help that you appear to have zero drop from chest to hips - you'd be better off with more padding in the chest.

Last edited:

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like the jacket length meets the inseam as well for a good measure of correct jacket length. Longer and it looks a bit too edwardian, shorter and it creates a host of other strange issues.

Add to that, your pants are causing a lot of issues, they are too long for how slim they are, or to slim for how long they are. If you are going to wear trim cut pants you wear them above the shoe, if you are not, then you break them at the shoe.

You are better suited to a lower button point, a jacket length described above and much better fitting pants that are both slightly fuller and breaking at the shoe.

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
As everyone else said above - jackets are too short. You look like you may be 5'10" wearing a 42S jacket as a wild guess. As a side note you may want to have the hem of your trousers shortened a bit for little to no break.

Coburn

Reaction score

Add to that, your pants are causing a lot of issues, they are too long for how slim they are, or to slim for how long they are. If you are going to wear trim cut pants you wear them above the shoe, if you are not, then you break them at the shoe.

You are better suited to a lower button point, a jacket length described above and much better fitting pants that are both slightly fuller and breaking at the shoe.

+1
Jacket should be 2 inches longer and button point 1 inch lower. The shoulders on the left hand picture appear to be 1/2 too wide. .
The pants should be, maybe, 1-2 inches shorter. Both jackets have too much waist suppression.

The lapels are gapping but that may be because of your posture. Are you standing unnaturally straight?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics