• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why do these lapels look too narrow?

wafflingwaffles

Reaction score
MTM jacket. Lapels are 3.25 inches. Shoulder is 45cm. Chest is 100cm. By my measurements, the widest point of the lapel is more than the halfway point across the chest.

So why does the lapel still feel too narrow? I can think of a few reasons:
1. Gorge shape is weird
2. Collar is too small
3. Shoulder has wadding, so it seems even broader (and the lapels narrower in comparison)

Or am I just tripping?

Thanks
Photo on 24-9-2022 at 11.36 PM.jpg

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MTM jacket. Lapels are 3.25 inches. Shoulder is 45cm. Chest is 100cm. By my measurements, the widest point of the lapel is more than the halfway point across the chest.

So why does the lapel still feel too narrow? I can think of a few reasons:
1. Gorge shape is weird
2. Collar is too small
3. Shoulder has wadding, so it seems even broader (and the lapels narrower in comparison)

Or am I just tripping?

Thanks View attachment 1835948

The lapel looks narrow to me too, but not too much, it's a pretty classic width. I prefer wide lapels, but it's a matter of taste.

Mirage-

Reaction score
I am almost certain the effect you speak of is actually due to the low gorge (compared to modern fashion). This gives the lapel less overall "space to grow".

krudsma

Reaction score
The lapel hits almost exactly halfway to your shoulder, that's about as classic as you can get so I wouldn't worry about it.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Because they are narrow; 3 3/4" is a more classic proportion.

Recent styling went thru an extreme of narrow lapels and short jackets.
You might have noticed the majority of custom tailors didn't follow.

Never bought into the half way across the chest concept.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads