Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Why do so many people get the fabric cut on their trousers when hemming the pants?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by forbritisheyes, Mar 13, 2013.

1. forbritisheyes

forbritisheyes Senior member

I'd like to ask this, because I don't understand the thought process - it doesn't make much sense to me long term. Wouldn't it also add extra weight, which is good if you like wear plain bottoms?

And for the love of God It makes purchasing suits difficult. Can't all the extra fabric get hemmed under when getting it altered for the right inseam? I see so many suits in Long sizes with 30"/31" inseams with jackets that have 26"+ sleeves and I think that they should just stick with regulars.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013

2. Alvinbmx

Alvinbmx Senior member

If I understand your concern correctly, some pants/trouser cannot be left uncut as it tapers down quite drastically. In this case, it is better to cut it unless your tailor knows how to keep it.

3. forbritisheyes

Both my tailors(my grandpa and his competitor) used to make bespoke so I always feel their work is magic when it comes to my suits, but I read several posts on AAAC and here were some tailors were saying this is why they encourage people to keep as much fabric as possible.

4. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

Probably because they don't ask the tailor not to, so the tailor does it however he/she wants to.

/endthread

5. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

Most unfinished pants have inseams of 38". If you are say a 32" inseam, you'd have to fold over 6".

This would, imho, look weird, drape weird, and feel very heavy.

6. forbritisheyes

I have a 33" inseam. I can understand 6" would be odd. I'm just thinking maybe 3". If you end up selling it like many do, it can be a benefit.

7. Hacking jacket

Hacking jacket Senior member

Very good point... I now realise my error(s)

8. biged781

biged781 Senior member

That's subjective. I have had temporary hems done like this and I *hate* how it makes the break look. Too bulky, it always breaks at the point in which the edge of the fold occurs.

9. forbritisheyes

I didn't consider this - I don't know how this skipped my mind. That is a very valid point, about the break. I guess I'll have to become wealthy so I can buy everything new so I don't have to scour for a long inseam.

10. CrAz3D

CrAz3D Senior member

this. I told alterations person (chinese lady w/"okay" english) I like cuffs. She apparently took that as nonbinding language and didn't cuff the pants. they're narrow at the bottom, so they look fine, but I was kinda upset.