• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why do so many lawyers wear bow ties?

nathan

Reaction score
I notice that of all the professions out there, a lot of lawyers seem to wear bow ties. Why is this? Does this relate back to some sort of North American tradition? Lawyers in England don't seem to wear bow ties.

Actually, I should make this clear that it's only the big fish lawyers that wear bow ties (some partners, senior counsel, professor's etc.). You're not going to see one on some 1st year associate prole in NYC.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The shoes in your avatar look awful.

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jimmyoneill

Check out his location....

Regards.

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As to the OP's question....lawyers like to twist things around to suit themselves....aka the bow vs. straight tie.....

Regards.
PS. Nice shoes BTW.

nathan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jimmyoneill

Yes, it's meant as a joke.

Any thoughts on the actual bow tie question?

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not been my observation and I am in the legal profession.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nathan
Any thoughts on the actual bow tie question?

I haven't witnessed what you describe.

Mr. Caber

Reaction score
I've noticed it a bit. Probably something about tradition, individuality, etc. More to the point, why not?

TexasLidig8r

Reaction score
When I was in my last year of law school, I was on the law review board. We had a federal court justice on our board of advisors.

I asked him what I could do to stand out a bit from the myriad of attorneys he saw every day. His first bit of advice was to be incredibly well prepared.. know both positions in the case thoroughly and be prepared to respond to questions which are detrimental to your case.

He then suggested I do something to make myself stand out and suggested perhaps a bow tie. I've been wearing them since.

I've had a number of jurors approach me after the conclusion of the case and commented favorably on the ties.

Some believe it shows individuality, creativity and a mind and personality that does not countenance remaining in the mainstream.

Cid

Reaction score
It must be a requirement for admittance to the bar associations in the Carolinas.

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As another attorney told me: "It is always the pompous ass that wears the bow-tie in a law firm."

dirk diggler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xiaogou
As another attorney told me: "It is always the pompous ass that wears the bow-tie in a law firm."

that's why I am not at a law firm, and since I am now the client, I wear what I ******* want, thank you very much.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics