• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why do so many collar points curl inward or point upward?

Von Kaiser

Reaction score
The Banana Republic collars points curl inward. I'm talking about the very tip of the collar points - part the collar stay doesn't extend to. What can you do about that?

Meanwhile, the Nordstrom collar points don't necessarily point upward, but they "float," even with collar stays. Are magnetic collar stays the only solution for the Nordstrom-type problem?

bjornb17

Reaction score
I starch up the collar points when ironing.... i saturate it pretty well. run over with the iron a couple times, it wont be completely dry.... put the collar stays in and let it dry over night. When you wear it, you can shape the roll subtly by bending with your fingers and it will hold like that all day. wont curl up or down.

also, magnetic collar stays are horrible.

il_colonnello

Reaction score
I have observed the same problem (points curling inward) in most of my custom shirts from the Far East. It's annoying as hell and if I don't find a shirtmaker in Asia whose collars are not prone to this issue, I may decide to change to more expensive European makers.

Haven't tried starching or anything. Ideally this should not happen even w/o starch - it certainly never happened on even the cheapest RTW shirts I used to wear.

bjornb17

Reaction score
I've noticed that it is more likely to happen with non-iron fabric, but my method works great on all shirts.... easy way out of the problem as opposed to dropping $$$ on new shirts.

Von Kaiser

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bjornb17
I've noticed that it is more likely to happen with non-iron fabric, but my method works great on all shirts.... easy way out of the problem as opposed to dropping $$$ on new shirts.

Won't the starch damage the fabric?

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's called sprezzatura.

People die to have it.

alexanduh

Reaction score
due to thread shrinking?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads